Chapter 53

Dustin rubbed the back of his head

Dustin rubbed the back of his head. A grimace carved lines into his features. "Mrs. Lyon does have a rather extensive list of ideas," he replied weakly.

"I fucking bet she does," Jett muttered, keeping well away from Fluffy who'd only now noticed my wraith-wolf.

Sage's attention snapped to the tiny dog and a line of hackled fur rose down his ridgeline. I shifted my stance nervously. I wasn't sure if my wraith-wolf wanted to eat it or play with it.

Sage bounded up to the dog, skidded to a halt, and let out a howl. The two dogs sniffed noses and erupted into an excited playful dance, facing off each other with wagging tails.

"Looks like they've just become friends," Dustin said to me with a lopsided smile.

"Fucking figures," Jett muttered.

I realized the younger Crowther was silently considering Dustin. His eyes narrowed and became more shrewd as if he were reassessing the man in front of him.

A cold feeling rattled my nerves. What was he up to?

Jett crossed his arms over his chest and shifted his weight to one leg. "Do you really want to help with this party?"

"Yes, sir," Dustin replied eagerly. "If I could have a moment with Miss Crowther, I can go through Mrs. Lyon's ideas with her."

"We're keeping the party simple this year," Jett replied. I stopped myself just in time from rolling my eyes because the party was centered around my birthday. Jett spoke slowly as if he was relishing every single word. "We could use your help with bringing us a case of Absinthe from the Wormwood Driads."

Absinthe was potent alcohol, practically moonshine of the magical variety. The Wormwood Driads were strange elemental creatures and it was from their swimming holes that Absinthe could be collected.

Dustin's voice rose an octave. "A case of Absinthe from the Wormwood Driads?"

Jett nodded with a flash of a quick sly smile.

"But that's out of state and it'll take me days to get there and back," Dustin protested.

"Best you get going straight away."

The other man blinked. His mouth fell open. "You mean now? It's nearly midnight."

"No time like the present. And take the overgrown rodent with you."

"You're not kidding are you?" Dustin breathed.

Jett smiled a wolfish grin. "Nope."

Dustin hesitated a moment before kneeling to scoop up Fluffy. When he rose I realized he was also holding the book that had accidentally slipped from his grip when Sage and I scared the hells out of him. Instead of tucking it under an arm or putting it away, he offered the old tome to me. "You dropped your book."