Chapter 52

My ass was sore and my patience was wearing thin

Keeping my ear pressed to cool wood, I listened to furious footsteps beyond the room where I'd hidden away. When I recognized the male voice muttering a long string of curses, cold wrath made my fingernails curl like claws against the door. I wanted to annihilate Jett Crowther on instinct. A few minutes later the familiar pace of Graysen's leggy stride on stone reverberated within my inner ear as he walked past, his footsteps fading away as he retreated deeper into his family home.

Shame scorched my cheeks for allowing Graysen to witness a very real moment when he'd barged into the bathroom with his obsessive need to right the soap and the facial bottles scattered over the pebbled floor. I'd allowed myself one girl-moment to bask in that glorious kiss and simply be honest with myself. He was the only person I'd ever kissed and despite all of his ruthlessness, his hard and demanding lips had electrified every cell in my body. And godsdammit, he saw the exhilaration that widened my grin and had me stamping my feet because I couldn't contain my delight.

With the Crowthers' departure from the library, I gave Graysen two minutes before I cracked the door open and peered out.

No one. Good.

I needed to start on my escape plan and there was no reason to wait. I couldn't rely on manipulating Graysen to set me free, I had to find another way to escape his family.

My plan was simple. I needed to go through the digital files on the library's computer and see if I could find site plans within the system or find a book that outlined the layout of the Keep. Hopefully, the structural layout would shed light on their escape tunnels. Every mansion had them. We'd be stupid not to, especially with the bloody feuds that arose between Houses, and the Crowthers were extra wily. They'd have a way to flee their estate. The Heart of the Keep was ancient, and from what I'd seen of the carving in the Great Hall detailing the original structure, it comprised the library as well as Graysen's tower. I was willing to bet there was an escape tunnel somewhere right there.

Crouching down, I quickly scooped up the blue cleaning cloths I'd used to block the internal light from leaking beneath the bottom of the door. Placing them back on the metal shelves, I turned off the closet's light and slipped out the door. My heart skittered nervously as I slunk across the open hallway like a shadow. Sage hunkered low. His wraith fur wavered like smoke as he silently stalked at my heel.

When Graysen had left our residences, I'd waited an impatient hour before throwing on a dress and winding a shawl around my neck and shoulders to ward off the chilly air. Borrowing one of his messenger bags, I'd tucked the notebook I kept hidden beneath my mattress inside one of its pockets. Thankfully, Graysen had kept his earlier promise that I was free to roam the estate. With my chin held high, I simply walked past soldiers on patrol and the odd servant, and crossed the inner courtyard to the main entrance into the Crowthers' home. I'd turned a steely gaze upon the sentry. Without a word, he opened up the massive door, and I sauntered inside the Keep as if I had every right to be there.