Chapter 88

"Five years ago?" I breathed

"Five years ago?" I breathed. Hurt, sharp as a barbed thorn, pierced my heart at the realization Evvie had been lying to me for so long.

Caidan took another mouthful of his drink, then lowered the tumbler, resting it on his thigh. "Evvie snuck out that night. We ran into one another down at the fighting pit."

I blinked, astounded. Even I knew of the fighting pit—a place carved out beneath the earth, amongst the twisted steel foundations of Ascendria, where the upper ranks went to fight one another in bare-knuckle brawls. Bets were made and money was traded on the winners. My head was awhirl with the fact my sweet, rule-abiding sister defied my parents and stole out of the house, let alone go there. My hair rustled as I shook my head in disbelief. "I can't believe she did that."

He flashed a mega-bright grin with dimpled cheeks, and a deep chuckle rumbled from his chest. "She was a right mess trying to fit in with the rest of us." White teeth bit down on his smile as he turned back to the window, staring distantly at the passing scenery, the faces of people blurring with the shape of buildings and colors of the city. "I looked out for her that night. We hung out and she had fun. We've been doing much the same ever since."

For five long years, she'd been sneaking out with Caidan and keeping this secret friendship from me.

Fury erupted. It slashed through my veins and boiled my blood. But worse, it fucking stung. I turned it from me to him because I wanted someone else to feel this kind of stinging betrayal. "You used her to get to me!"

Exasperation flashed in his gaze. Hurt too. His mouth curled into a snarl as tension locked his body tight. "Not that you or Evvie will believe me," he ground out, "but my friendship with your sister was real. There wasn't any deceit in it." He flung the hand holding the whiskey wide. The uneven motion caused droplets of amber to arc over the edge of the glass and splatter over his jacket. "What we had together had nothing to do with you or any of this." Our gazes clashed and mine was full of fire. I burned him with every inch of rage I felt toward him. Caidan broke away first, cursing low. He flicked away the droplets of alcohol clinging to his jacket before sinking dejectedly against the seat. His lips pinched into a firm line as he frowned up at the curved ceiling. When he next spoke, he added more quietly. "Your family didn't know about us, and neither did my father or aunt. Not even my brothers knew."

Rushed fingers untied the scarf around my neck and I tugged it free to reveal the Hangman's Noose. "Let me go." The silk fell across my lap and draped down my thighs. "I know only a Crowther can untie this rope. Just do it, Caidan. Prove to Evvie you care for her."

His head whipped back to mine. He looked torn and confused and shifted forward to reach for me, and then jerked his hand back. "It's not as simple as that. My mother—"

"What about me?" I hissed, thumping a fist on the armrest. "My sister will never forgive you for what you're going to do. Your mother won't either!"

"Maybe...maybe not!" he whisper-hissed back.