Chapter 51

However, first, I needed to check in with Mela

However, first, I needed to check in with Mela. I slid my phone out of the pocket of my sweatpants, swiped a finger across the screen, and typed a message.

Me: We still on for tomorrow?

Half a minute later my phone pinged with an incoming message.

Mela: Yes. Petra picked up a relatively fresh trail today in the catacombs. We'll be at the tunnels first thing.

Petra was the Văduvas' prized hunter and the right hand to Mela's mother who ruled their House as Head. She was also one of the few people my father respected.

Me: See you there. Thanks, Mela.

Mela: It's going to be okay, we'll catch this Yezekael for Master Sirro.

I had no fucking idea what Sirro wanted with the creature. Everything surrounding the Horned God was a mystery.

The creak of the library door being opened caught my attention and I glanced toward it, watching Caidan slipping through the open doorway, his flip-flops clapping against the stone floor. His broad body disappeared as he shut the door behind him. I readjusted my stance on the rug, my bare feet sweeping against the soft piles of wool as a thought crept inside my mind as to how I could help Mela save Elyse Estlore.

I quickly typed out a message.

Me: Have you found anyone to get you into the Pelans' Laboratory?

The three dots flashed in and out of the screen, and it was a good minute before my friend replied.

Mela: My only lead was unwilling to help.

Me: Have a word with Evelene Wychthorn.

Mela: You think?

Nelle's older sister Evelene was a force to be reckoned with. And her betrothed, Corné Pelan, had learned it the hard and painful way. Fire and retribution burned within every inch of Evvie when she put him in his place, on his knees before her. If there was anyone who could and wanted to get back at the Pelans, it was her.

Me: I do...just don't tell her it came from me.

Mela: Not your biggest fan?

Fuck no. Evvie and I were united for one brief moment during her betrothal celebration. Now I was sure Evvie hated me just as much as her scumbag fiancé. Probably more.

Me: Who is?

Mela: You really need to learn how to play nicer, maybe then you'll have more friends than just me.

Mela: And thanks, Gray,

Me: Goes both ways. Anytime you need me, I'll be there. See you tomorrow.