Chapter 16: Her Eyes

OUTER ASTREA
THALIA AND DEVYN

Maingat na naglalakad ang dalawa habang sinusuri nang maigi ang paligid. 

"It's super foggy here." Bulong ni Thalia habang nakahawak nang napakahigpit sa kanyang pana. She can't risk being unmindful and careless, especially now that Albert is in a critical condition. Magkalapit sila ni Devyn upang maprotektahan ang isa't isa sapagkat wala na talaga silang makita. 

"You know what keeps me driving?" Napaigting ang tenga ni Thalia nang magsalita ang kasama

"I'm listening." 

Bumuntong hininga si Devyn at tsaka nagsalita, "I need to survive here in order to prove my worth to my parents."

Ever since day 1 in the Seekers Battle Ground, Devyn never stood out or something. She has nothing to show at all, perhaps she was tired. Almost everyone has their skills, however, she's an outcast. 

"Unlike you who's a Science genius, Samael and Nirvana that are born skilled, Uno and Denzel who lead the way, Machi who's naturally intellectual..." Mahinang saad nito." In real life I am NO ONE. I'm somebody who everyone don't wants to be partnered with."

Tumigil sa paglakad si Thalia at hinarap si Devyn. "No. You are more than tha-"

"Nah. My sisters are the greatest human beings." Pagpuputol nito sa sasabihin ng kaibigan. Tears started to fall down her eyes. 

"Everything's about them! Always them! And sometimes I wish that they weren't born at all." Bulalas nito sa harap ni Thalia. 

At some point, Thalia is wondering. Why now? Why is Devyn telling this right now? Bakit sa kanya? Devyn has always been a caring person, like the mother of the group, especially to Albert. She exemplified greatness more than what she thinks. 

"Devyn... why are you bursting these out all of a sudden?" Mahinahong tanong ng dalaga, iniiwasan niya itong maprovoke. 

Devyn sobbed on the ground. 

Thalia is anxious. This is not the time. They need to find food and right now, they are in the middle of nowhere! No trees so there's no fruit. They literally have no idea where they are, yet Devyn is having her unnecessary moments. 

"Devyn..." Lumuhod si Thalia at tsaka tinignan si Devyn sa kanyang mga mata. "Your precious eyes..." At tsaka ito pinunasan. 

"Thalia, I am telling you this because whatever happens to me right now, at least someone knows." 

Napakunot ang noo ni Thalia. Now's not the time to be pessimistic. "Bakit pa ba ito sumama sa akin kung ito lang din ang idudulot niya?" Sabi nito sa isip. Mas matanda sa kanya si Devyn ngunit nagmumukha pa na siya ang maghahandle ng hindi inaasahang sitwasyon. 

"Ano bang sinasabi mo? Tumayo ka na riyan at maghanap na tayo ng pagkain!" Hinila niya patayo ang kaibigan. "You know what? If you really want revenge, prove them that you are worth it. Prove them that you're strong and determined! SURVIVE!"

Pinagpatuloy ni Thalia ang kanyang sinasabi habang unti-unti nang tumatayo si Devyn, "Because right now? Giving up just proves that they're actually right." 

Nang makatayo na si Devyn, biglang nanlaki ang mga mata nito. Imbes na tuwa, ay takot ang kinalabasan. 

"THALIA!" Malakas na tinulak ni Devyn si Thalia kaya natumba ito sa lupa. It turns out na may isang guardian palang umatake rito mula sa likuran. 

The guardian's sharp nails slid through Devyn's eyes. It scratched both of her pupils which also passed through her nose, leaving it with a lot of blood.

Thalia did not waste any more time, she shoots her shot right into the guardian's heart, the glowing circle on its chest. Fortunately, it only took a spear for her to kill the monster. 

To avoid further incidents, nilapitan niya ang guardian, kinuha ang spear na nakatusok, at paulit-ulit na sinaksak ito sa kanyang puso. Pati na rin sa ulo nito hanggang sa tuluyan nang magkalat ang kulay itim na likido sa lupa. The spear also deformed because of the force. 

Maluha-luhang lumapit si Thalia kay Devyn na ngayo'y pumapalahaw na. 

"I can't see anything!" Sigaw ni Devyn habang nakahawak sa kanyang mga mata. Hindi niya ito maimulat. Her screams continuously echo around the place.

Napapikit si Thalia, hindi alam ang gagawin. She's tired. There are no trees around, only a massive fog. No water, no cloth to cleanse and stop the bleeding from her friend's eyes. She feels like giving up, she needs Samael or Machi right now. They need someone to help them. 

But Thalia's all alone now, with her friend who permanently lost her vision. But...

Second by second, red eyes started to appear behind the fogs.

"I guess the guardian wasn't alone at all."

END OF CHAPTER 16
6-12-21

SKETCH OF  THALIA BERLIN
This drawing is originally made by the author

SKETCH OF  DEVYN VENTURAThis drawing is originally made by the author

This drawing is originally made by the author

SKETCH OF  DEVYN VENTURAThis drawing is originally made by the author