Chapter 92

"What?" I said in disbelief. It took me a moment to race through my memories of earlier last year. I remembered Bayne drinking it.

"But I saw you...You drank it."

"I switched the potions." He admitted. I pressed my fingers to my lips, remembering the unusually sweet tea Bayne brewed for me shortly after.

"My tea. You roofied me with the protection potion?"

"It was the only way. The only way to keep you safe."

I felt split down the middle. One half of me wanted to stay at Bayne's side, never to leave again, and fight through the pain with him.The other half was so filled with anger I didn't even want to look at him.

"You lied to me." I said.

"I wanted to keep you safe."

"We AGREED for you to drink it. You gave it to me without my permission!" I bursted out.

"I wanted to save you." He said.

I couldn't listen to his words any longer. As much as I wanted to hold his hand through the pain, I stormed out of the healing room. I went outside to the snowy wonderland, which seemed not so wonderful. The snow had stopped falling. The chunks of snow were now hard and dense. The screams started up not long after I left. I could hear him outside.

Nadine came outside and joined me in the cold.

"I'm not in the mood. I know what you're gonna say." I said before even looking at her. She sat next to me.

"Oh yeah? What's that?" She said.

"That I should forgive him and go back inside. I just need a minute."

"That's not what I was going to say at all. You have every right to be furious with him. He gave you that potion without your permission, and made you believe that he had taken it."

"I can't believe he'd do such a thing. Bree's magic may still be in him. That's probably why this is happening now! Who knows what she's doing to him! It just made sense for him to take it!"

"I know. Raven and Rom are working hard to figure out how to stop the pain. But it's Bree. It's going to be hard. We don't need to go back in right now. We can take all the time you want."

I felt nauseous. My stomach twisted and turned into tight knots. I couldn't believe how foolish Bayne was. He should have been the one protected from her magic, not me.

I took a deep breath, allowing the frosty air to enter my lungs. I breathed out, doing my best to release any anger I had trapped inside.

"Let's go back in. I need to know what's going on." I said.

We went back to the healing room. Bayne was passed out once more. His body was drenched in sweat. Raven dabbed him with a cold wash cloth. His skin shined with sweat. His face was turning pale.

"Erin, you're back already." Raven acknowledged.

"Is he sleeping?" I asked.

"I keep trying to put him under a sleeping spell so he can rest, but it doesn't last long. Neither does any of the pain killers." She said.

"What's wrong with him?" I said.

"We aren't sure yet. I want to do an ultrasound on his stomach." Said Romulus.

"You have an ultra sound machine?" I said

"Your father got it for me as apart of the lodge upgrades. I have an X-ray scanner too."

"Do you know how to use those?"

"I'm sure it's not hard to figure out." He said.

"I'm going back to my house and grab every spell book I own. I'll be back soon. Let me know if anything changes." Raven wettened his forehead wash cloth and picked up her bag to leave.

"I better let Ulrich know what's going on." Nadine followed her out.

Romulus and I were alone.

"Bayne said you and him made a deal. Did you know about this? Did you help him switch the potions?"

"I did not help him switch the potions. I didn't know he slipped it to you until after he did it."

"So you knew? And didn't think to tell me?" I said.

"Bayne wanted me to promise him. He knew Bree was going to come for him one day. He didn't want you to get hurt in the crossfire."

"And you thought it was fine that he lied to me?"

"I didn't condone it at all. I told him numerous times to tell you. But Bayne thought it was best. I know he should have told you, but I don't know. If it were me and Jaxson I might've done the same."

"What was the deal he was talking about?" I asked.

Romulus took in a breath.

"After he died from Bree, he wanted me to protect you. No matter the cost."

"I don't need a guardian. And Bree is not going to kill him. We'll find a way to save him. We always do."

"Even of this doesn't kill him you must remember. Bree is relentless. She will not stop until he is dead."

"I'll save him, then. I've done it before, I'll do it again."

"I appreciate your optimism and your love for him. But this seems like a very complex spell Bree has put on him. She's probably only gotten stronger this past year."

"Then we'll find her. Find her and make her reverse the spell."

"No one has seen or sniffed her for almost a year." Romulus said.

"Good thing our numbers have doubled. I will not let her kill him. I'll do whatever it takes." I reassured him, and myself.

Bayne woke up with an earth shattering scream. His hand dug into the middle of his stomach as he cried. His skin didn't look abnormal. Something was happening on the inside.

Romulus filled him up with more pain killers. His screams faded to quieter shouts.

I sat next to him.

"Erin, you're still here." He breathed heavily, as if something heavy was resting on his chest.

"I'll always be here. But you shouldn't have lied to me. You should've taken that potion."

"I had to save you... She's coming for me now. I can feel it."

"I won't let her touch a hair on your head. I will kill her if she ever comes that close to you again. And that's a promise."