4

Has it really been that long?
Did I count the days wrong?
Did we just go 'round and 'round
All the way to step one?
They would ask me all the time
Every time the show's up
"So what you doin' with your life?"
It ain't givin' up
- patience by Tame impala

The last one to turn eighteen, Ellie had always been the youngest in their year and would always have to wait for the year to be up till she was the same age.

The final year they would be at a party together, the final party and one of the final times they would all be together.

The part was in full swing, red solo cups thrown around the place as people moved around the room, in and out of the house- to lay beside the pool or have a little fun.

Isabella was dressed in a pink dressed that had a holographic sequin cover along with a plunging V-neck. Her hair cascading down her shoulders. It seemed that most people had the same idea with Juliet wearing a flowing lilac dress with her hair in  bun updo with small whisps of hair framing her face.

Music blared from the rooftops pumping through the veins of everyone present. People were pressed against the walls while others went upstairs to have sex.

This is how they were brought up, a face and a facade. They had all learnt the rules of the game and now it was played everyday, how long before the wool was unravelled from everyone's eyes, Isabella could only wonder.

Making her way past the groups of people, she made her way to Ellie's bedroom. She knocked before entering. The room looked the same: the large bed placed at the top of the room in the center, beside this was a wooden oak bookcase. On the other side, her desk with all of the work lay open and on the floor the occasional dress thrown on the floor. But apart from that, it was immaculate.

Ellie sat in the middle of her bed in a red satin dress. A dress that was perfectly her. The dress had a slit that was provocative enough yet comfortable for Ellie to be okay with her self. It looked liked a cross between a cocktail gown and a ball gown.

"Why you up here Els, this is your party?" "Felt too crowded, started to feel suffocated. Wanted to be able to breath." "And how do you feel now?" "Like I can breathe, just wanna stare at the stars forever" "Why?" "Dunno, it makes you feel like why worry over your problems when its insignificant when faced with what's out there. Everything will all come to a pass and there is not gonna be any more problems" "yeah, you wanna go downstairs or stay up here for a little longer" "don't think I'll go downstairs at all" "and what if I say I saw a blue eyed beauty downstairs" "if it's meant to be it I'll be we'll find our way to each other. If you want you can go downstairs" "rather stay with you Jem. Happy birthday babe"

The pair sat in a somewhat silence looking at the stars. The party music only slightly in the background. "You decide what your going to yet Jem?" "Might travel the world, see where I belong" "and where you gonna start?" "South America then Africa then Europe and so on. I've been looking at programs and wanna go round the world helping people" "at least one of turned out alright. You'll do amazing but I want a postcard of each place and a call. God knows how I'll survive without you. Who's gonna boost my ego now. You can't leave me with an ego the size of the world." "But I must, we have to part ways eventually. What are you gonna do then? When I'm six feet under" "no, I've almost lost you once. Don't you dare say something like that. You're the only person I can be myself with. Promise you won't leave alone in this world" "you know I can't do that Bella. That's one thing I can't promise and you know that. But I need you to promise me that after you leave this town, you'll be you. Not the person everyone wants you to be. Don't hide away for them, it's not worth it promise me bells" "promise I'll try my best"

The pair regained the party for an hour before everyone left. They fell asleep on Ellie's balcony stating at the stars, the same they had done since they were five.