Chapter 2: Summer Camp?!

Here I am, sitting in Miss Jennings office with my parents.

"I called you all in to talk about a concern you have about Addy," Miss Jennings states.

My parents give each other a look. It's the type of look any worried parents would give. I kind of have a feeling I know why this meeting is happening. As I said before, I'm not the super social type. I have friends but I would consider most of them acquaintances meaning we don't talk that often. Honestly, my closest friends I have are my parents. Yeah, you could call it sad if you want but it's the truth. The last time I had very close friends, they went and stabbed me in the back. If this was a animal reference, they left me as food for the wolves basically. I was very hurt and honestly still am. It just sucks knowing that someone you trust completely can just turn on you so quickly. Thanks to them, I have major trust issues when it comes to people now. I guess you could say I have my guard up whenever it comes to making friends.

"We've noticed that Addy's not, you know, that social and we're worried that she's missing out a lot of things that are happening. We tell her to put herself out there but, it's hard," my mom says looking between myself and Miss Jennings.

"I see. Teachers, along with myself, have noticed that as well here at school. Addy, would you wish to say anything?" Miss Jennings asks me.

I sit there, feeling scared and worried for myself. I know I shouldn't push all my feelings deep down within me but it hurts just as much to talk about them. Sometimes you just have to come face to face with the situation head on and mentally prepare yourself for what's going to happen. I take a deep breath while also trying to think about what I should say in response.

"I...I too notice myself struggling. It's honestly hard trying to connect with people come this day and age. Most of my peers are glued to their phones twenty four-seven and don't care to even look up and experience what's happening around them. These things.."

I wave my phone up in the air for my parents and Miss Jennings to see

"...are toxic and my generation doesn't seem to notice it. I'm the odd one out because I'm not considered popular, I don't have many followers across my social media platforms. Hell, I don't even have a group of friends. It's tough, okay," I say trying not to get all worked up about everything. Hopefully my little rant will get them to understand how I'm feeling about everything.

Miss Jennings and my parents sit there, absorbing in every single word I just said. I hope I didn't throw too much at them. Hopefully they'll understand how I'm feeling. After a moment of silence, Miss Jennings begins to speak.

"I see how you're feeling, Addy. It's tough let alone navigating through high school academically but it's tougher navigating friendships," Miss Jennings says. "Mr. and Mrs.Bennett. How do you guys feel about what Addy said?" Miss Jennings adds.

My dad shifts in his seat as my mom beings to speak.

"Addy," she says looking straight at me. "I understand how you're feeling. I too had trouble making friends when I was your age," she says.

"Me too," my dad adds on.

"Addy, all me and your dad want is the best for you. We'll figure something out, don't worry. We'll discuss more tonight over dinner," my mom says.

My parents give me reassuring looks, as does Miss Jennings. The final school bell rings. You could hear the loud commotion happening just outside of the guidance counselor offices. It sounds like a stampede of elephants. Just thinking that makes me chuckle. My parents continue talking to Miss Jennings as I zone out thinking about all the funny animals I can compare the loudness of people running to leave the school too. Once the noise dies down, I hear Miss Jennings say..

"Looks like we're done with this conversation. Remember, I'm always an email away," Miss Jennings says while standing up from her seat. She gives my dad and mom handshakes while she gives my a wave. My parents and I make our way out of the school.

Once we arrive home, I head up to my room and flop right down onto my bed. My mom and dad change out of their work clothes and then get started on dinner together. Our dog, Lucky, comes running upstairs into my room, jumping onto my bed with me. When I tell you how much I love Lucky, I really mean it. This dog is honestly my best friend. She always knows how to make my feel loved and happy. I'm so thankful for having her in my life. She rolls onto her back meaning she wants some belly rubs. I scratch and rub her belly. You could tell she was happy, very happy in fact. I get up and grab my book that I've been reading, The Hunger Games. This isn't my first time reading the book but there's just something about the whole series that I love. I've read every single book in the series, more than once of course, and seen every movie, more than once as well. This and Harry Potter are my obsessions I guess you could say. I flop back down onto my bed with Lucky and start reading some more of my book. I get so lost in between the pages that I almost didn't hear my dad yelling up to me that dinner is ready. Wow, it's amazing how you can get lost in a book like that. Once Lucky heard dad yell up that dinner was ready, she quickly jumped off my bed and ran downstairs to the kitchen. That dog is something else I tell you. I bookmark the page where I left off, put my book back on my desk and head downstairs for dinner.

As I come to the kitchen I can smell my favorite meal, meatloaf. There's just something about this specific meal that makes me happy. My parents are finishing filling up their plates as I start to fill mine. Meatloaf, some mashed potatoes, broccoli and of course tons of gravy. Once my plate is filled, I head into the dining room and take a seat at the table with my parents. We eat in silence for a bit until my dad decides to talk.

"So Addy. Your mother and I came to a solution to your friendship problem," my dad says looking at me. I place my fork down in the table and finish chewing before I speak.

"Okay. Throw your idea out," I say confidently.

"We signed you up for summer camp this summer!" My dad says over joyed and confidently.

I stare at him then stare at my mom then back to my dad. What did he just say. Did he just say summer camp? They're sending me to summer camp?!

"Summer camp?" I say questioning them.

"Yes honey. I think it'll be good for you. No phones, no social media, away from everything toxic like you said. It'll just be you, other teens and the great outdoors. Me and your dad went to summer camp. I mean, it's where we met. Trust us, you'll love Camp Phoenix just as much as we did," my mom says giving me a reassuring smile.

I can't believe it. I'm going to be spending my whole summer, yup that's right, the twelve weeks of my summer vacation at a summer camp my parents went too. This could either go great, according to my parents, or go terrible. I don't really see myself as camp material but who knows, maybe I will be considering it runs in the family. Camp Phoenix, whatever you might be like, I guess here I come.