Chapter 6: Lean On Me

Sharing a special moment with two people I just met made me feel so appreciated and loved. The words I never thought I would say so easily again slipped out of my mouth.

"I trust you," I said to Hazel and Teddy. They let go of my hands. They could tell by the hesitation in my voice that I was hurting, that those three words were tough for me to say. It felt like the whole world around us didn't matter. It felt silent and still as we sat there at our table, like nothing else matter at this point in time. Suddenly, my ears start to hear the people in the dining hall starting to clean up. It was getting dark outside by this point.

"I'll take everyone's trays," Teddy says beginning to stand up. He takes Hazel and I's trays, along with his, and brings them over to the pile of other dirty dishes to get washed. Hazel and I sit in silence, a comfortable silence though. She gives me a warm smile.

"Everyone please make your way down to the campfire pit! The opening campfire will begin shortly!" Michelle's voice comes through the loud speakers. Everyone starts to leave the dining hall, making their way down to the campfire pit.

"Time for Addy's first campfire!" Teddy says seeming very excited, coming back to Hazel and I. Hazel gets up from her seat, seeming excited about the campfire as well.

"You're definitely going to be a Wolf. I can feel it," she says. I get up from my seat and join them as we walk out of the dining hall towards to campfire with all the other campers. I hope I become a Wolf that way I know I'll have Hazel and Teddy with me. I really don't want to be a Honey Badger, that's for sure. Don't want to have to deal with Ethan all summer long. As we walked to the campfire area, we saw fireflies flying around. I haven't seen fireflies in awhile. Seeing them reminded me of the fun summer nights I spent with my cousin. A few people in front of us started to catch them as we walked. I, being the person that I am, joined in. I saw one light up. I quickly ran over to it. I waited for it to light up again to make sure it was in the area I ran too. It lit up so I quickly grabbed it, cupping it into my hands. I walked back over to where Hazel and Teddy were. Teddy notices me first.

"You got one?" Teddy asked, amazed. I nod my head yes.

"Wanna see?" I ask him. He comes closer as I open my hands for him to see the firefly blink.

"Awesome," he says. Hazel doesn't really seem interested in the firefly as much as Teddy did.

"Does Hazel not like bugs?" I whisper to Teddy.

"Not really," he responds. I get a funny idea in my head. 'I'm sorry Hazel' I think. I make a smirk, Teddy instantly getting the idea I have. He gives a small chuckle.

"You wouldn't," he whispers to me, almost sounding like a challenge.

"What are you guys laughing about?" Hazel says, stopping to walk and turning around towards Teddy and I. She sees my hands, clearly knowing I have something in them. I smirk again but this time straight at her, making sure she knows exactly what I'm about to do. She clearly gets the idea now.

"Don't you dare," she says to me in a stern voice. I rush over towards her, my covered hands held out.

"Addy!" she yells as she runs away from me. I chase her around with the firefly for a solid minute. Teddy stands there, laughing his head off at the sight. She runs and hides behind Teddy. I stop chasing her, feeling bad at this point.