Chapter 10: Family Day

Six Weeks Until Tribe Wars

Today is the day that every camper has been waiting for. Ok, maybe not the exact day since everyone's really waiting for tribe wars week to begin but this is a close second for everyone. Today is family day here at Camp Phoenix. That means everyone's parents and siblings are coming to visit. It's basically a celebration, Hazel told me all about it.

"Everyone's parents and siblings come here to camp. There's a big cookout, games, tons of time to mingle, oh and there's fireworks at the end of the day," Hazel explains to me after Chris made his morning announcements. It made sense to me since today was also the Fourth of July. I'm excited to see my parents, show them around camp and introduce them to my new friends. Now that I think about it, they don't really need a tour of camp since they went here.

Suddenly, there's a knock at our door. I give Hazel a confused look bud she looked like she knew exactly who knocked on the door. She opens up the door to a happy Michelle holding a book of t-shirts with her. I get out of bed, my hair still a mess, and make my way over to the door.

"Good morning ladies," Michelle says happily.

"Good morning," Hazel says just as happy as Michelle did.

"Morning," I say in between a yawn.

"What do the special shirts look like this year?" Hazel asks Michelle. She puts down the box and pulls out a shirt. It was white with blue lettering that said 'Camp Phoenix' while the camp logo was in red. It looked really patriotic. I liked it.

"They're really cool," Hazel says as Michelle hands her a shirt. Michelle hands me a shirt as well. I hold it up to get one last look at it.

"Thank you," I say to her.

"Of course girls. Don't forget to wear them today. I'm sure your families can't wait to see you," Michelle says picking up the box of t-shirts and walking towards another cabin. Hazel and I step back inside of cabin and get ready for the day.

"I can't wait to introduce you to my parents and my little sister," Hazel says excitedly, quickly getting changed into her new t-shirt Michelle gave us.

"How old is your little sister?" I ask her.

"She's twelve. Next year she can start coming to camp if she wants," Hazel says. I quickly get dressed into the t-shirt with some athletic shorts to match. I slip on my sneakers then head out the door with Hazel to breakfast.

"When are families going to start arriving?" I ask Hazel as we walked to breakfast.

"Normally around lunchtime or at least that's when my family comes," Hazel says.

When we walked into the dining hall, we spotted something usual.

"Teddy?" I say out loud. Teddy was already at breakfast, eating away.

"Hey!" He says waving at Hazel and I. We grab our food first then head over to sit with him.

"What are you doing awake this early?" I ask him.

"It's family day. I always wake up early on this day," he says. Hazel nods her head, agreeing with him.

"This and everyday during tribe wars week are the only times you'll see him wake up early," she says with a laugh.