chapter five

"So, your the famous clove kentwell then?"says crystalline, crossing one long leg over the other and taking a sip of her drink. She looks at me up and down with positive interest, frowning slightly at my height, but making no attempt to mention it. " and cato Hadley of course, everybody knows about you."

The look on Cato's face is painted, almost regretful, and I can instantly tell that something happened in his own half an hour that none of us want her to hear. "Well,I was the favourite to win this years hunger games,but they all hate me now." He says, running his hand through his hair. "But it was my choice,nobody to blame but myself." He stars at me pointedly, darling me to say otherwise. I don't.because I know that what he did on stage was not an accident. It was a thank-you, for saving his life all those years ago. It must have been a spur-of-the-moment occurrence: he couldn't have predicted that I was to be repead. That would be impossible.

Nobody speaks, or even moves, for a least a minute. The silence is never ending and awkward.and I can't break it.

"Anyone for coffee?" Says tallulah, thankfully dragging us out of the quite,plastering a fake smile upon her overly decorated face.

"Yes please" I say, and I decide to take a seat opposite crystalline and brutus.cato doesn't sit down, just hovers awkwardly over the sofa, not taking any notice of the conversation that is beginning to flow out of the silence of before.

"So" says crystalline, her eyes narrowing "clove, how old are you"

" fifteen." I reply, clasping my hands together, avoiding the emerald green orbs that practically jump out her pale face."career?" She asks, smirking.

"Yes, eight years." I mutter in reply, still looking away from her. She doesn't seem to notice,and carries on prying.

"What's your sport?" She leans closer towards me, hunching over. By that, I'm guessing she means 'what your best weapon?. No point in lying: theres more 'thanks' coming my way if I do.

"Knives. " I say, standing up and retreating towards the carriage. All eyes follow me, probably expecting me to do something that would demonstrate my skills. If they want that. They're going  to have to wait for training days. Except cato, of course,but the less said about him right now,the better. He knows what I can do,there's no need to show him.

" you gonna show us anything?" Grunts brutus, scowling and folding his huge arms over his chest.

" I wasn't planning on it" i say, examining the elaborate dishes on the table in front of me,my back to him. " but,if you're looking for a display then I don't mind."

Brutus smirks, along with crystalline. And then I catch catos eye. He stands, almost frozen in the centre of carriage, eyes trained on me,just like the day after the mountain incident,in the training centre,as if he is trying to remember something that has mind has been closed to for while.

I look towards me feet, embarrassed, and select a knife from one of the lavish dishes. They are all far too dainty,nothing like my usual ones,which are long,razor sharp and quite often serrated,but I pick one of the most lethal looking one there
Then I turn to face my audience, choose a target of a small circle drawn on the wall most probably an earlier career getting some extra practise and throw. It cuts through the air and my audience follow it with wide eyes, right until it hits, dead centre,in the middle of the circle.

There is a definite smile on his face,
"Well, I must say clove,I didn't expect that."says brutus,awe in his voice.

"Small but deadly. I like it." Crystalline smirks and nods, clapping her hands together In appreciation. I positively beam back at the two of them: seeing as I've gotten of to a good start, why not carry on? But I practically ignore cato. I don't want him to think we're like 'friends'or something. That's just not possible. I don't have friends.