chapter sixteen

Twenty-four tributes,all equidistant from the gold born of the cornucopia. Twenty-three predictors, out to kill me, to steal my crown of victory. One me, clove kentwell, the girl with the knives. And sixty vital seconds to figure out much strategy and think of exactly how I am going to evade death.

A large unit on the front of the cornucopia shows the seconds, counting down to that fateful gong.

Fifty-two.....

Fifty-one.....

Fifty.....

I scan the expanse of the arena that surrounds me. To my left, all I can see are trees: a seemingly endless forest that must stretch for miles. To my right is large void,probably with a steep drop on the other side. Either way, I can't really see anything past the patchy tree-line that borders it . Behind me is a large lake. And in front of me,are the weapons.

Forty-seven.....

Forty-six.....

My eyes dart over the piles and piles of supplies, sitting there in the mouth of the cornucopia. The quietly of objects decreases the further you get from the mouth. All good weapons are there In the centre. Right inside the cornucopia, is a selection of lethal-looking sword and spears. No sign of my trusty knives through.

Thirty-five.....

Thirty-four.....

In the semi circle around the cornucopia , the tributes are in no real order. It doesn't go by district or anything, just depends on what launch room you get. We each get a plate, and you stay on the plate until the gong sounds (otherwise the land mines will blow you up), and you never go back to it again. It's just where you enter the arena from.

On one side of me, is the boy from 5. On the other, the girl from 9. They are both as insignificant as a blade of grass. Just easy opponents to pick of before the real fun of the games begin.

My allies, the ones that matter,are scattered around in completely random settings. Glimmer and zafira are next to each other, to the far left, with zafira right on the edge. She has no one next to her on one side. Marvel is a few places to my right ,and already, his stance seems menacing and ready to fight. And cato is directly in front of the cornucopia, with a clear line straight to the amazing selection of weapons. I can't help wondering whether he was put there for a reason, just so that it would make the initial bloodbath battle so more interesting. If he gets to a sword before all the weak boys do, they'll have no chance. Not that they really did anyway...

Twenty-nine.....

Twenty-eight.....

Twenty-seven.....

Right clove. Now it's time to star looking for you knives.

I scan the arena frantically,looking for even a hint of any that looks like a knife. And there,leaning up against a large rack holding an assortment of spears, I see them. There's one knife. Laying on one bag which looks to be bulging with more, and it's meant for me.I just know it.that the gamemakers have put them there especially for me. They know what I can do, and so does everyone else.

Which means I have to get those knives: the others will be trying to get them before me, so I'm weaponless, and therefore defenceless. With those knives, I am deadly.

Fifteen.....

Fourteen.....

I look over at cato, and he catches my eye, I quickly glance over at the cornucopia, then turn back to him,and give him a quick nod. He returns it,then smiles reassuringly. I return the smile automatically.