chapter twelve

I clumsily haul myself to my feet to face them,  and Augusta circles her arm around my shoulders, guiding me out of my room. " right clove, today we will get you ready for your interview, which takes place tonight!" Squeals davina, throwing in a few little waves as she totters around in front of me " you're going to love your outfit! It's absolutely gorgeous!"

I try my best to fake a smile, but I only manage to choke out" I'm sure it is!" In such a false happy voice that it could fool nobody. Well,apart from devina and Augusta, who seems to take my comment as more of a reason to get excited. They practically jump around on the spot. They look like the little kids in the academy after they've hit their first ever target.

I remember when I first started training.i was 7 years old, and I'd just come home from school with my friends (yes there was a time were I actually had friends) Savannah. We'd had a good day,and I'd been given a prize from my art teacher for having the best self portrait in the class. In the self portrait,I was wearing a little blue dress and I had my hair in bunches tied with pretty white ribbon. Savannah and I skipped home, singing silly little playground songs on the way.when we reached my house, I found my father standing at the front step, with a stern face. Father always looked like he had bad news to tell: I never saw him properly smile, except once. More on that later.

Savannah and I walked up to my house, and looked up at my father, and asked him what had happened. In answer, he handed me a sheet of paper. At the top,in huge black lettering, were the words ' district 2 training academy ', and underneath, was written' dear mr kentwell, we are pleased to inform you that you daughter clove has been accepted at the academy. She is invited to begin on Monday. We hope to see her there.'

I looked up at father with my big green  eyes, and he took the paper out of my hands. "clove," he began,standing tall " you mother and I have decided to send you to the academy. You will go there for 3 days each week to learn weaponry and combat skills so that you can bring honour and pride to this family, by volunteering as a tribute in the hunger games when you turn 17. We expect tou to fulfil your potential clove. Now,go inside, your mother will speak with you there." He turned to Savannah with a fleeting look.

" good day Savannah, I'm sorry but clove must discuss something with us, so run along back home. Goodbye." I noticed Savannah give me one last sorrowful look as she walked away.

The academy was the place for everyone and anyone. The place that only people destined for greatness ever attended. I'd  be hoping that father would send me for a year, but I almost given up hope.

I heard a voice from behind me. " did daddy tell you dear?" Said my mother, clasping her hands together and smiling" your going to the academy. Are you happy?" Mother was always so much nicer then father, and I showed her just how much I thought that by running straight into her outstretched arms and hugging her tightly. " I'm so happy momma!" I said, laughing and giggling as she lifted me up on to her lap." When weapon do you think will be your best? She asked me, grinning brightly " mine was a bow and arrow. I wonder what yours will be!"

I knew they expected the best of me: both of my parents were victors. Mother won the 52nd games, and father won the 52st game,that's how they met, through being mentors.

The next hour sees my prep team wash and dry my hair, which must have taken a long time because it looks positively glowing by the time they're are Finnished with it. They give a thin blue robe to wear while they style my hair, and I sit as patiently as humanly possible as they babble around like idiots, tottering over in their heels and laughing in their stupid Capitol accents

And then I'm behind shunted into another room,where Cecilia sits with a tray of food which I'm guessing is supposed to be launch. I sit down beside her,and her eyes widen. "Clove,your hair looks beautiful!" She squeals to be launch. I sit down beside her, and her eyes widen. "Clove, your hair looks beautiful!" She squeals in excitement, clapping her hands together rapidly " you'll hardly believe it's you in the mirror when you see it! I hope the dress looks nice, I really do, it look me ages to style it for you!"

"I'm sure it'll be perfect" I say, in my most convincing voice possible. Cecilia smiles and hands me a slice of bread covered in some kind of purple jam. I eat happily: before now, i never realised how hungry I was. It was out that I'm starving, and I shovel down another slice of bread and some kind of chicken soap as well.

"Right now I'm going to show you your dress. Close your eyes!" She almost sings. I close my eyes and wait, as the rustling in front of me subsides and the closet door in slammed shut. "And..........open!" She shouts, and I blink so my eyes can readjust to the light.

When I finally see properly,there, in front of me, is a beautiful peach coloured dress. Strapless, and with a ruffled skirt that reaches just below my knees. It's perfect. I love it. "Cecilia this is amazing!" I shout,I feel the smile overtaking my face. She sees it too, and she seems back at me, showing off her glittering diamond teeth again, then she totters over and tells me to take of my robe so she can put the dress on.

" you can't see yourself yet" she says " but you can once I've done your makeup. you've going to look the best there clove,I'm sure!"

She takes ages doing my makeup. I am assaulted with so many different brushes and colours that, by the time she's Finished, I'm scared that she's made me into a miniature version of herself, with the scary purple grin and everything.

And then she uncovers the mirror. And the girl staring back at me is a complete stranger.her dark hair is piled into elegant twists around her head, her dress makes her look like a princess,and her makeup is perfect, with sweeping eyeliner and huge black lashes.

"Do you like it?" Says Cecilia from behind me,but I hardly notice her. I feel dizzy all of a sudden, looking at the girl in the reflection. My reflection? No,it can't be!

"Yes." I manage to choke out,  before I fall back into my chair. Then the whole realisation dawns on me: the girl in the mirror is you clove. You are the girl with the knives. Beautiful but deadly, in every way