CHAPTER 48

It is the fourteenth of February. Today is Valentine's day. It's also Jaehyun's birthday, but  his birthday party is going to be Friday because the next day we don't have school and also because he wants to spend today with his girlfriend, Minah.

I have cooked food for Lucas as Valentine's gift because I know he'll like this more than anything else. He loves food.

I'm excited to see what Lucas has gotten for me. Since the beginning of this week, he couldn't stop bragging about how much I'll like his gift. So, I'm quite curious.

As soon as I arrive at school, I text Lucas to let him know that I'm here. When I arrive at my locker, I don't see him anywhere. I wonder if this is a part of his surprise or if he's late and he lied to me about being in school.

A red card, with a heart on top, falls from Mark's locker when he opens it. He picks it up and scans it. When he reads the name inside of it, a smile appears on his face.

"Who is it from?" I know it's from Haechan, but I still question him because I want to tease him. I sneak to see the name.

"Yah, stop reading my valentine card and search for yours", The younger says, as he swiftly closes the card and pushes me away with his elbow.

I give him an annoyed glare and then, I start to search my locker, thinking that maybe Lucas has left something here for me.

I don't find anything.

I wait in front of my locker for a few minutes, but I realize that he truly isn't here and there's no surprise. I call his phone, but no response. So, I go toward his locker, prepared to yell at him. When I arrive there, I find a few of his friends, Hendery, Yangyang and Xiaojun. He's not here either.

"Hey, have you seen Lucas?", I approach the boys and ask them about his whereabouts.

They greet me back and Yangyang replies to my question, "He went to find you after receiving your text like 20 minutes ago".

I thank the boy for the information and I walk towards nowhere, wondering where has Lucas gone. I start to become worried.

I jump out of my thoughts at the hearing of a loud dolphin like laugh. It's Chenle. He's talking about something with Renjun, one of Mark and Haechan's friends. I know that Chenle and Lucas are friends, so, maybe he might be able to help me.

I ask the two boys if they have seen Lucas. Renjun shakes his head, but Chenle answers, "Yes, he went outside with that new girl".

New girl? I think about who he could be talking about, but then it hits me. Eunjoo!

I ask the younger boy about which exit Lucas and the girl took. When he mentions the back door, I run to find out what's happening. On my way there, all types of negative thoughts appear in my mind.

It's not hard to find them. The moment I shut the school door behind me, I find them a few meters away beside a tree. They're hugging.

I feel a certain tightness in my chest and it becomes difficult to breathe. It seems like a heart attack, but I know it isn't. It's heartbreak. Tears well up in my eyes and I feel like the world has stopped turning. All of this seems like a nightmare. When the first teardrop rolls down my face, I realize that this is actually happening. I turn around and walk back inside as I blink my eyes a few times in an attempt to stop my tears. I know I can just confront Lucas right now, but I feel too weak. I might cry even harder if I look at his face right now. I just feel stupid for trusting him.

The first period is about to start in a few minutes and everyone hurries to enter their class. I don't go to my classroom, instead, I directly walk towards the school exit. On my way, I bump into Mark. I keep my gaze at the ground as I avoid eye contact with anyone because I'm scared that I might cry at any second. I try to walk away, but the Canadian grabs me by my shoulders.