18 | Cause and Effect

Kyril Leventis.

The dim dungeon lighting couldn't have been further from flattering for the Aeolian man. The last time they'd met, Kain might've been able to describe him as decently handsome. Now, however, age seemed to have settled on him, despite the fact he must not have been older than forty years.

Pocketscars riddled most of his visible face, leaving a clear sign of how close the nightmares had come to finishing the man. Since Nokos, his dark-brown, bordering black locks had been trimmed close to his scalp. Was it to cover for what might've been burnt when the faerie set the purici on fire? Or to hide what he could of the obviously graying hair?

The reason behind the hatred burning his mud-brown eyes was obvious.

Kain was tempted to ask him whose fault those scars truly were. After all, it wasn't him who'd stupidly opened that window.

As all this ran through his mind, Kyril scrutinized Kain in turn. Then, he smirked.

"I had hoped you would make it this far."

He'd been anticipating them?

"As satisfying as it would've been to hear you'd been caught, and executed, there's something to be found in taking care of the issue myself. You made it so easy, too, by staying in such a cheap inn. Did you think you'd go unseen in such a place? How ridiculous. People in the slums are easier to buy."

Confusion held his tongue as Kyril spoke.

The noble spoke as if they were old enemies. Kain hated him, certainly, but it was for reasons that he doubted Kyril would return. After all, if the man had viewed something wrong with hitting his wife, he never would have done it. And, despite everything, he had no way of knowing about the incident with Alithia--the demon was dead. Which meant he had no knowledge of Kain's near death.

So why would he assume they were coming after him? And beyond that, why had he spent so much money on Kain, a nobody? First, the expensive Votanna contract, and now briberies. Was it pride? Vanity?

"The trial will be a formality," Kyril continued. He apparently had no need for Kain's response. "The judge will listen to me, of course. You'll be sentenced to execution for the senseless murder of a Sol native."

Execution. Anger boiled beneath his skin. This wasn't right. None of it--and it was so baffling that Kain couldn't find a leg to stand on. Was it fear for his life? Was Kyril after them because Kain threatened him? Because the purici almost killed him?

Kyril's eyes flicked away from Kain for a moment, seeming to skim over the other cells with thought before returning. "It would be a waste to throw away all your companions, however. I'm sure some value could be found in the women--and there's always a desire for free, skilled labor. Perhaps if you beg me, I'll have their sentences lightened. I could even be persuaded to let my wife visit. I'm sure you'd enjoy that."

Mara? What did she have to do with this?

"Kain--" Melitta began.

"Your knees will do," Kyril interrupted. Smugness oozed from his voice in excess. "Come now. Isn't this what your sort is supposed to do?"

"My sort?" Kain asked.

Kyril snorted, giving a dramatic wave of his hand. "Yes, your sort. The adventuring type that sticks their noses in other peoples' business in the name of honor or whatever. Sacrificing your pride for something as simple as their lives should be easy, shouldn't it?"

If he thought it would actually save them, he would do it in a heartbeat.

However, the greed that reflected in Kyril's eyes, and the way he spoke sparked doubt. Plus, how did he talk as if this were all certain? Was money really all it took to buy off a foreign government? By all rights, Kyril looked, and spoke, Aeolian. He shouldn't have had the power to sway an Eolian judge.