54 | The Fate of Falling Cards

Taisol's words echoed through his head with the damning ring of premonition.

She didn't say, 'if you know your own throne.'

She said when.

The realization settled ice along Kain's spine that sent shivers along his entire frame. Not for the first time that evening, he felt faint. Every inch of him wished to deny her request. It was too much. They already had so much on their hands. Finding Iliana, evading the Votanna until they realized the issuer of their contract had perished, finding a home for Natia, learning the truth of the secrets that had begun to pile onto his shoulders.

Now, find a displaced king and place him on his throne. Because of a vow from a god that she would bless him when he inherited the Cieonian throne.

"Steady, Kain."

Melitta's voice eased the vice in his chest, reminding Kain there were more important matters at stake than his own anxiety. He couldn't get lost in his head--not when Melitta was pale as the moon, Rhode blank, Mara biting her lip, and Isidor on the verge of passing out. Even Callias looked dazed.

Kain drew in a deep breath.

"We will do our best," he said, tone steadier than he thought possible. "The child you mention, is it R--Asha's son?"

Unease seemed to ripple through the knights. Even Eleni's quiet sobs seemed to subside in the wake of Kain's question. Had they begun to realize the truth of the situation unfolding before them?

"I do."

It was true, Kain realized. Everything they had researched. The conclusions they had drawn. The coffin Alekos burned was empty.

Rhode seemed to lose her footing, held up only by Mara's quickly extended hand. Her blank expression twisted into something he couldn't begin to understand. How could he?

Her son was alive.

"Then," Kain began. He paused, clearing his throat as if it could ease the anticipation building in his gut. "Is there anything you can tell us to make the search easier? The family you speak of, where is it?"

Was Callias right?

What would Kain do if he was? What if the man they had been chasing, the one who had kidnapped a siren and freed a slave, was the king Taisol wanted to enthrone?

What should he do?

"You already--" the goddess began, then cut herself off. Her head tilted to the side.

Unease crept along Kain's spine as Taisol's eyes narrowed. Natia whined, and suddenly, the goddess' wings snapped open. She flicked her hand and the barrier glimmering between them and the knights twisted into something more. It encircled their party in a dome with no clear beginning or ending.

The distinct twang of a bow sounded seconds before an arrow hit the shimmering surface. Kain watched with wide eyes as it rolled over the edge and disappeared into the shadowed grass. Someone was shooting at them? Why? Taisol was right there.

"What--"

Melitta gasped. It was a stuttered, almost ragged noise. Wet in a way that drew Kain's eyes amongst a myriad of distractions.

He stilled as time ceased.

Melitta crumbled against his side, a muffled whisper on her breath.

Something collapsed behind them. He couldn't focus on it. Couldn't decipher the cacophony of voices in his ears. They blew past his senses like a fog as his eyes focused on one, impossible sight.