08 | Preparation

How odd it was to be having private meetings with queens.

"When are you leaving?"

Kain studied the tea in his hands as Kostantia's voice washed over his ears. Her soft, even voice somehow stole a portion of the tension that might have entered him with her question. He could almost forget the role she'd assumed and imagine he was talking with a friend over breakfast--not a queen regent over paperwork.

In the end, though, it was impossible. Just as it was impossible to ignore the weight of his sword at his hip. Despite how frequently he'd missed its absence, the second the queen mother had summoned him and turned it over, he felt as if the world had been returned to his shoulders.

"Tomorrow morning," he answered. "Today, we'll gather what we need for the trip. Lyre stated he'll have our list compiled tonight...thank you for the supplies."

Kostantia inclined her head, acknowledging her contribution, before she lifted her tea to her lips. Her eyes dug into him.

"All of you will be leaving."

Kain grimaced. "That--"

"I will not have that woman in this country," Kostantia continued, voice firm. "She may have done what needed to be done. She may have the support of gods. But, she still committed regicide--murder--in the capital. Her victim was my son. I will not entertain her."

I don't want her either.

"I will...discuss it with the others," Kain compromised. "I'm not sure...I don't know if Callias would accept that."

Awareness flickered in the narrowing of the regent's eyes. "Will he even continue to accompany you after this? She was his sister."

Kain had no idea.

Not once in the past day had Callias emerged from his rooms. Kain had lingered outside of them, hesitantly knocking, but the only response had been a shuffling, then a slow click of the lock. Pressing further had felt wrong, so he hadn't.

"If he does, I will not bring Mara along if he's against it," he said.

Kostantia's fingers played against the side of her glass as her eyes fell to her drink. There was a heartbeat of silence as she weighed whatever was in her mind, before she slowly sighed and lowered the cup.

"I understand. If you cannot take her, I will simply deport her," she settled on. "I cannot guarantee she would make it to her home port left alone with our knights, but it is the best I can offer."

Guilt--slow and sludge like--clung to his insides as her meaning sunk in. If Mara was left alone with the imperial guard, there was no guarantee that there weren't those amongst them that wouldn't simply execute her, consequences be damned. And she couldn't be allowed to travel alone--she was an Aeolian noble lady. They weren't trained to do anything for themselves.

Still...it didn't make him anymore inclined to claim her as theirs. If anything, he was only further dissuaded. Someone like her had no right to follow their path. It was too dangerous for someone who couldn't handle their own. Even more so when there wasn't a single soul amongst them that wished to help her.

Still, Kostantia had just as much right to dislike her as he did. So, he couldn't blame the queen. "I would expect nothing more."

She grew silent for another moment, once again seeming to fall into thought. Then, she leaned forward and tapped one of the many papers spread before them. The page was as blank as her expression.

"After what has happened here...Zuher will know of you, now, if he didn't already. What do you want to do next, Prince? Do you want to step into the light, or remain in the background?"