19 | Abyss

There was a certain feeling of control to be found in hanging over an abyss with the knowledge of how easily you could fall. And as Iliana's fingers curled over the balcony railing, her legs dangling into the nothingness, she couldn't help the weightless thrill that seemed to settle over her. It reminded her of the cliffside in Aeolis.

She wouldn't tip herself forward. But she could. It was a choice.

Del's arms wrapped around her shoulders. "You shouldn't be here."

Her heart stuttered.

"I'm fine."

No she wasn't.

"You're not."

Iliana relaxed against his chest. "Neither are you."

"I'm not the one on the railing," he retorted.

She hummed. "It's relaxing."

"More relaxing than knowing there's another event tomorrow?"

Well, he wasn't wrong. "A bit."

Silence took the air for a moment. Iliana tucked her head back against him, watching as dawn streaked across the Chuteros sky.

"It should be easier than the last," Del said eventually. "From what I understand, it isn't a ball or similar gathering, but instead a hunting banquet. The nobility will be too busy peacocking to take note of you."

"Will he be hunting beasts?" she challenged.

Del fell quiet. "Traditionally, that would be the quarry."

The uncertainty in his tone matched her own misgivings. No matter what he said, Del was as convinced as she was that Zuher was too bloodthirsty for a hunt to be simply that. Come time, there wouldn't be an ounce of surprise in her mind to find out the hunt involved slave collars or bribed civilians.

"They delivered an outfit for you," Del tried again. "Less elaborate than the others. You might not even need help donning it."

His wording caught her attention. Iliana straightened, twisting her head in time to catch the amusement her movement caused. "Not a dress?"

He shook his head. "Some folks will wear them, but it's less traditional in the West to wear dresses to a hunt. In Reotak--and Cieon--most wear pants if they've any hint of combat ability."

"Why?" Iliana questioned, knitting her brow. "It isn't as if they're going to hand me a weapon."

He hesitated. "They might."

For a moment, it felt like her heart stopped. "What?"

"They might," Del repeated slowly. "Zuher has been treating you as a member of the nobility this entire time, even if you're technically a captive. And, traditionally, at events such as these...anyone can be challenged to a duel or hunting game. Given the state of the peerage after your arrival and the rumors floating around, he might anticipate a challenge from Lady Zavitika or one of her entourage and gift you a weapon or have one on standby. Sirens are legendary for their skill in combat, after all."

There were too many things in his words to focus on that Iliana hardly knew where to start. She squirmed in his arms, causing concern to flicker across Del's features as she twisted about to swing her legs between them. No doubt he'd been concerned she'd fall--but, she'd never felt more balanced. Which, admittedly, was likely due to her siren nature.

His hands settled on her hips as she settled on the first issue to address. A shiver crept down her spine, but she forced her mind to focus on something other than the burning awareness of his thumbs tracing circles along the thin fabric.