Six

The one with the stay at home dad...

"DADDY!!"

Steve jumped at the screeching of his daughter. He sighed as he heard little feet running down the hall. He counted down silently with his fingers waiting for the argument.

"Daddy! James took the tv from us! He a meanie pants!" His four year old  scowled exactly like her mother. Steve sighed as Sarah put her hands on her hips and Paige crossed her arms.

"Sarah, no matter how mad we get, we do not call people names. Okay? I'll go talk to James, you guys take a break and have a snack. I left cheese and crackers on the counter. Be careful!" He yelled after them as they ran to the kitchen. Steve shook his head as he went to find James in the toy room.

Steve sat silently beside James on the floor. He waited patiently until James paused his movie and turned his body to face him with his eyes on the floor. "What's going on James? You keep fighting with your sisters."

James stayed quiet for a minute before raising his emerald eyes to meet his father's. "I miss Mama." The tears that were threatening to fall, started rolling down his cheeks. Steve sighed and pulled James into his lap.

"I know, buddy. Me too." Steve rubbed his back knowing he could do little to comfort him. James was the first born, and Natasha's baby. He had separation anxiety, and whenever she went on a mission he would start fights with his sisters. "Let's call her, Hmm?" Steve called Natasha on FaceTime as James silently cried staring at the screen with hopeful eyes.

"Hi baby- oh, hi J what's wrong, baby?" Natasha's smile changed to a look of concern as soon as she saw her only son with tear streaked cheeks.

"Mama! Come home!" James sobbed. Natasha had only been away three days and was due to come home tomorrow, but that now felt like an eternity.

"I'm trying, baby. Did you have fun with Daddy? You were going to play with water guns." Natasha forced a smile as she tried to make her son think about something else. She would never admit out loud that she has some separation anxiety when she is away from her kids as well. She knows they are safe with Steve and that's the only reason she agreed to keep doing missions when needed. This was one of those times.

"I don't want t-to, I-I want to play with y-you and Daddy!" James was starting to stutter and cough, it was breaking Natasha's heart. Steve wrapped his arms around James rubbing his back in a futile attempt to calm him down. He needed Natasha.

"I'll be home soon, okay. You can sleep with Daddy and I when I get home, how does that sound?" Natasha asked using her soft voice, reserved only for her babies.

James started to perk up, but the tears continued to roll down his cheeks. They only let the kids sleep with them if they had nightmares. "In your bed?" James asked just above a whisper.

"That's right. But you have to be my big boy, you can be brave right?"

James sat up straighter in his fathers lap and wiped his face. "Yes, Mama. I'm six, I'm a big boy." He nodded to further prove his point.

"Okay, baby. Can you do me a favour and check on the girls?" James nodded again and ran to do as asked.

"I don't know how you do it, love." Steve stood to clean up the toy room.

"Do what?"

"Stop his panic attacks when you aren't even in the room."

"Hmm. It's a talent I guess. I miss you." Natasha gave a sad smile, "How are my other children?"

Steve chuckled, "Definitely yours. Sarah is the ring leader. She knows James is upset and still picks fights with him. Paige is her usual stoic self, but following her older sisters lead. And Emma screams from the moment she wakes up until she tires herself out and sleeps. It's too early for her to be away from you I think. I'm sorry, love but it's not great news." They promised not to lie and he wasn't going to start now. Steve thought it was a bad idea for them both to work "part time" so someone was always home with the kids. They all love their father but they have their own special bonds with Natasha. Steve looked tired and he knew it. Her children were wearing him out.

"I know. Might have been easier if she was fully on formula." Natasha sighed, "Eight months is young. I'm going to try to come home tonight."

"Love, you can't just end the mission. You have to complete it, then there is the debriefing. Even if you make it home tonight you won't make it HOME until tomorrow."

"Oh I'm going to finish the mission. But if Fury thinks I'm stopping for a debriefing or medical or anything that will keep me from you and the kids he can suck my-."

"Okay! Baby I get it." Steve cut her off, then chuckled, "So tonight."

"Yup. I'll wake you when I get home it could be late."

"You better wake James too. If he sees you in the morning come out of the bedroom he will pout." Steve made his way to the master bedroom still holding the phone in front of him.

"Yes, my boys are very sensitive."

"I don't think I can take another day alone with your Irish twins." Steve flopped on the bed, completely exhausted.

"It is 100% your fault that they are 11 months apart. You knocked me up."

"They are such trouble makers, Tash. They got that from you." Steve smirked at his wife.

"I think they got it from you." Natasha smiled at him, "Well I gotta go, baby. I want to get this over with so I can come home to you. I love you."

"I love you, too, baby." Natasha blew him a kiss which he pretended to catch causing a hearty laugh to fall from her lips. Steve sighed and closed his eyes as the line disconnected.

As if on queue, Emma started crying over the baby monitor. Steve got up preparing himself for the screaming when she didn't see Natasha coming to get her. It was only 2 in the afternoon. Steve tried to prepare himself for a long day.

*************

Question:

Do you want to see a part 2 as a homecoming one shot?