Part 10/ Grief.

I have never been a fan of churches.
Look,I know that sounds bad,okay?
God,I'm sorry,please don't smite me or something,it's just that your house doesn't exactly give off the best vibes.

I was forced to go to church by my mom every Sunday from when I was a freaking toddler,and wasn't exactly the biggest fan of people shouting and singing for three hours straight.
And then when my mom died,I had to sit next to my dad in the same church,watch her coffin,and listen to people tell me how much of an amazing person she was.

I had to stay there all day,greeting each guest,and have them look at me like I was a kicked puppy,when all I wanted was to be in bed and cry all day.
After that,the only time Dad and I would go to church was for weddings and Christmas.

And now,a funeral.

The nursing home had funeral arrangements already made with grandpa,and they just needed me to sign,saying they I agreed.
He wanted to be buried in New York,close to his wife and army buddies,so of course I respected his wishes. All I had to do was wait a day for everyone to fly here.

Right now,I was sitting in the front row of the church pews,with Lilly,Uriah and two of my cousins close to me,while dad was supposed to be sitting behind us,but right now him,his wife and his brother were greeting the guests.
I had a funeral dress from when I was little,which was a very depressive thought,but I chose to ignore it when Lilly brought over a few of her black dresses.

She has been around me for two whole days,treating me like I was made out of clay,and was at risk to break in any second.
"Did you take the vitamins this morning? Are you hungry? I saw that you didn't finish your bagel. I can just run and get you something-..."
"Babe. Can you just..." Uriah says to her,making me smile.
"I'm okay,Lilly. I promise."

Was I? Who even knows.

"Um,what is he-...?" Lilly says in confusion,looking behind me,while the sound of someone walking up to us grew closer.
He stands in front of me,wearing a black suit,a look of sadness in his eyes when I look up at him.
He doesn't say anything,and just takes a seat next to me,grabbing my hand and interlocking his fingers with mine,making me breathe out in relief.

"I'm so sorry for your loss,sweetheart."

He was the last person I thought I would see here today,but now that he's here,I feel more calm,and stronger.

The service started,where the pastor said some words,then the church choir sung,and then my dad and uncle got up and said some words. Their speeches weren't long,because they both agreed that there was only one person grandpa would have wanted to speak at his funeral.
"As you all know,my father was very close to my daughter, Charlotte. So she would like to say some words in his honor."

I smile at dad,and grab the folded piece of paper that I left next to me,before getting up. Stefan squeezes my hand before I get up to the podium,clearing my throat as a lot of people stare at me,making me smile at how loved he was.
"Good afternoon,everyone. Thank you all so much for coming. This means a lot to me and my family." I start off,taking a deep breath.

"We're here to honor the life of
Jefferson Ian Reynolds. Most of you know him as the brave war veteran. Or the amazing real estate agent. But to his grandchildren,he was just grandpa. The funniest,craziest,most inappropriate joke telling guy,who loved us unconditionally,all of his life."
I talk about his life,his accomplishments,how he loved my grandmother,and his kids.