Part 34/ To feel like this...

So,before you go,was there something I could have said to make your heartbeat better?

____________________________

"Here are the keys. Both to the door and register." I place them in Joan's hand as she nods.
"We washed and pressed the uniforms. They're in the back. Also the cleaning supplies are in the bottom cabinet in the bathroom." Lilly adds,barely holding in her tears.

"Good. Thank you." Joan nods again,a smile forming on her face "I've had a lot of college kids work for me over the years. But none like you two. Thank you for everything."
"Thank you Joan,working here meant a lot to us." Lilly says hugging her.
"You," She grabs her by the shoulders "Toughen up a little. And stop doubting yourself. You're so smart,you can achieve anything you dream of."

"And you," She moves to give me a hug.
"I need to toughen up too?"
She chuckles "Stop punching people. You're gonna get arrested." We all laugh.
"You're the kindest person I know. You like to act all tough,but you're a sweetheart. Don't be afraid to let the word know that." I nod,giving her a hug.

"Thank you Joan."
"You're welcome. Please come back when your big shot adults. I always have free milkshakes for you two.
"Promise."
"Promise."

****

"Why didn't you just get a lattee?" I look over in disgust at Lilly's drink.
"I can't sleep when I have caffeine this late. You know that."
"So you're drinking an avocado?"
"It's called a matcha drink."
"Sure." I roll my eyes as we walk through the park on the way home.

"Do do you guys wanna do anything tonight?"
"Not really,just stay home and watch a movie. We can go to the beach tomorrow if you want."
"That sounds great."
"It's weird to think that for the first time in four years,we don't have school or work or anything. We can just chill until we go back home."

"I know! I was just saying that to Uri,what are we even supposed to do?"
"Sleep? Party? Go to brunch?"
"You're joking,but I wouldn't mind getting absolutely shit-faced on some mimosas."
I chuckle "It sounds like a plan."

"This week was good. Our parents were great."
"It was. They were. Except when our dads join forces and drink. That's ugly."
She laughs "How can we ever thank your dad for paying for the hotel rooms."
"You don't have to. It was a graduation present. He love you guys. He's just as proud of you as he is of me."
"I know. It makes me happy that we have people in our lives outside our families that love us that much."

"Yeah,me too."
She takes out her phone when it buzzes "It has begun. Clingy Uriah." She shows me the texts of him begging her to come home already.
I laugh "We should go. It's been a long day."
"Yeah," She hugs me "Say hi to Stefan."
"Yeah. Text me when you're home."
"You too. Love you."
"Love you."

***

I go through my emails as I take off my shoes,holding the cup in my hand,and walking to the kitchen to throw it in the recycle bin.
Placing the phone on the counter,I take off my jacket and plan on throwing it in the washer,walking towards my room.
"I'm ho-..." I stop when I see Stefan in the living room holding his jacket in one hand and a suitcase in the other.

"What are you doing? You're packing this early? Honey we haven't even looked at apart-..."
"I'm leaving." He interrupts me "I left you my last check so you would have some money, and I didn't take any of your stuff-..."
"Where are you going?" My voice is so low,I don't even know if he heard that.