9. Masquerade

I've lost track of the many months that have passed since I have been in Mystic Falls. I feel good, great, even. No vampires, no secrets, no Elena to worry about. I've loved being around Davina and Marcel. Davina is like a sister to me.

I walk into my apartment and set my shopping bags down. I start to take off my jacket when I heard a voice I didn't think I'd hear in a long time. "Careful I don't have my ones." his voice rang through my apartment. I instantly froze and spun around leaving my jacket hanging off my shoulders. Sure enough Damon Salvatore sat on the armchair in my living room.

"Well, well, well, look what we have here. New clothes, new apartment, your hair isn't in its unusualy high ponyail. Are you sure I have the right apartment?" Damon pointed out and asked as he started walking towards me. I ran towards him closing the distance between us and giving him the biggest hug he will ever recieve in his immortal life.

He hesitated but hugged back after a moment. "I missed you too, Ariana." Damon said into my hair. As I pulled away I looked at him and said "I assume this visit isn't for pleasantries. What do you need this time?" I have helped them out with a few things, never actually involved me being around or in Mystic Falls. Just asking around, getting answers.

Damon has been the one to tell me everything. Damon was secretly, not so secretly in love with Elena. Grams died, I cried for days. I called bonnie when it happened and made sure she was okay, she even stayed with me for a little while after it happened.

I heard they learned about werewolves. I know all about Katherine and what she looked like. I was shocked about the news and the fact that Stefan didn't tell me. Stefan hasn't reached out which makes me sad, but I understand, he has enough on his plate.

"Long story short, Caroline saw Katherine. There is a little masquerade ball tonight. She's trying to make us give her the moonstone, which we won't. Because we have an epic plan, which is where you come in. I just need you to look intimidating in a room with Katherine and be there with me and Stefan if anything goes wrong." he informed me.

"Well you guys have been busy." I commented. I take my jacket all the way off this time and started to pack my things, maybe it's time I go back to Mystic Falls for good. While I was packing Damon decided to help and by help I mean throw a peice of clothing in my bag here and there while dancing around drinking MY bourbon.

He went to a drawer and pulled out one of my bras, I snatched it out of his hands and jokingly rolled my eyes then continued to pack. "Kinky" is all I heard come out of his mouth. I look over and he has a belt tied around his wrists. I just roll my eyes and try help him out of it, key word try. I have no idea how he managed to get it tied so tight.

"How on Earth did you do this? I can't get it undone." I told him giving up. He just ripped my belt like it was paper. "Hey! That was expensive." I pouted. He just patted my head and responded "I'll compel you another one." I just rolled my eyes again and finished packing.

----------

I sighed as we passed the 'Welcome to Mystice Falls' sign. "So how are you and your BFF?' Damon suddenly asked. I haven't talked to him since we were in this exact car, saying goodbye. "If you're talking about your brother, I know how I am, I just don't know how he is." I replied breifly. "Oh, What? Trouble in paradise?" Damon asked with a fake pout.

"That's the problem, Damon. There is no paradise. There hasn't been since I left. Me and Stefan, I just, don't think BFFs is the way to describe us anymore." "And if you're wrong." Damon challenged. I just gave him a quick glance but looked back at the road.

"I hope I am. I really really hope I am......when I lost control before I left. Stefan was usually there. Now that we haven't talked for forever, I don't want it to be awkward. But I am going to treat him as I would any other time. I'm just bummed that he hasn't reached out. But I guess that was partly my fault. I didn't exactly make an effort either." I sighed for the one thousandth time today.