8: Who Knocked out Raven?

Chapter 8: Who Knocked out Raven?

The phone rang twice before the familiar voice of a loved one came through.

"3749."

The right corner of Dick's lips raised slightly at the way Alfred answered the secure line.

He found the old British way of answering the phone to be comedic as it brought back many childhood memories of when he first moved into the manor.

What started as a joke transformed into an excellent way of answering a secure line when they were using their "work phone", which constantly changed numbers to avoid being traced. A Lucas Fox creation.

"4490," Nightwing answered back.

"Nightwing, how may I assist you?"

"Penny one," Dick said, referring to Alfred Pennyworth by his code name. "I couldn't reach Batman. Is everything okay?"

"Batman is currently out galavanting in outer space with Superman on an unexpected mission. I'm unsure when he will return."

He let out a sigh. One half of him was relieved he didn't have to break the news to Bruce right away. He was worried about how he would react. After all, he had left Duke in his care because he thought that he would be the safest there.

The other half wanted to tell him now. Primarily, because he would want to know right away if the situation was reversed.

"Is everything okay, Nightwing?" He could hear the concern in his voice.

"No, Signal is...." He told him about Duke's condition and the events that led to it.

"My word," Alfred said before silence flooded the line. "We will make the necessary arrangement for his return and for him to get medical attention immediately."

"I think that it would be better if he stayed here." Before he could explain why, he heard the sad voice of Cassandra Cain, as known as Orphan, in the background.

"Home. Come now. We'll help." He didn't know that she was there. If he had known, he would have waited to tell Alfred.

Cass was a strong warrior and she could hold her own against the best. She could defeat Batman if she wanted to. However, she was sensitive to many things, like a member of the family getting hurt.

This must be hard for her since she and Duke were close friends. Even though Duke was closed to the Robins as anyone could be, it was Cass whom he told his secrets.

Although no one knew y when they got that close, it was obvious to everyone that they were. Because when one got in trouble for disobeying Batman's orders, the other one got punished as well. Barbara used to call him and complain to him that Signal was corrupting her little angel, even though no one knew whose idea it was to disobey Batman.

"Sorry, Orphan, it is best that Signal stay here with us. Raven has the power to help him. He is in good hands.

"I'll come over."

He shook his head but spoke once he realized that she couldn't see him through the phone. "You can't. There has already been a security breach. Another person here would complicate things."

"..."

"Orphan."

"I don't like this, but I understand."

"Nightwing," Alfred said, coming back to the phone. "If his condition... if his condition-"

"I understand, Penny One. I'll bring him home. "