15: Who is the Man Behind it All?

Chapter 15: Who is the Man Behind it All?

The aircraft was quiet, except for the frequent beeping and clicking noise.

None of the team members of the spacecraft like what they were going to do. Nevertheless, it was their responsibility as heroes to save as many lives as possible. Besides, Raven wasn't going to let someone else die when she was the real target.

"We're almost there." Cyborg announced, slowing down the airplane. "Are you ready, C?"

"I was born ready." He replied, unbuckling his seat belt. He stood up and walked to the back of the aircraft. As he passed by Raven, he placed a comforting hand on her shoulder, which she squeezed.

They both smiled at each other before he moved on.

"Be careful out there." Cyborg said as he pushed the button to release the hanger. Strong, cold wind entered the plane as a green eagle flew out.

Cyborg pushed the button again to close the hanger. They had to wait for Changeling to come back with his scouting report.

Minutes passed before Starfire turned around in her seat and looked back at Raven, who was behind her. "Are you sure that you want to do this? I know that we can think of another way to save her."

When Raven had informed them about one of her latest dreams, they were already on edge. Their location has been compromised for a second time. And although no one said it, they all thought it: someone on the team could be a traitor.

"No, this is the best way. Besides, every second count." Raven said before closing her eyes. She needed to meditate before she left the plane.

Starfire sighed, turning back in her seat. As she turned around, she exchanged worried glances with Nightwing, who shifted his eyes to Raven.

Damian felt frustrated with this plan. There were too many variables and not enough controls, not enough barriers to protect Raven. Anything could happen to her.

He clenched his teeth and looked ahead. He didn't have a warm, fuzzy feeling about this mission. Something bad was going to happen. He just knew it.

"It's going to be alright" Damian turned his head to Raven, who still had her eyes closed. "We will be home before dinner," she said.

"If you say so."

"Your optimism is reassuring."

Feeling bad and knowing how Raven must feel, he said. "You are right. We will be home before dinner time.".

"Now, you are lying," she teased

"I-"

The sound of the hanger opening and gushing wind caused him to stop taking and Raven to open her eyes. They all watched as Changeling entered and turned into his human form.

"What is the situation?"

Changeling shook his head. "I don't know. I couldn't get close."

"Useless," Damian whispered loudly.

Changeling faced him and snapped. "If you think that you can do a better job, how about you go jump out of the plane, and check."

"Sure, I will be happy to show you how to do something properly for once."

"Boys," Starfire interjected. "We are about to go on a mission. I don't think that this is a good time to fight."

"Starfire is right. Have you two forgotten about the teams that went before us?" Cyborg asked. "They fail due to a simple divide and conquer method. Let's not make this easier for them, Think about why we are here. Who we are here for."