part 20: pick up the pieces

There was a heavy silence as you just stood there in silence, looking down at the pink gem that had her face buried in your belly, sobbing and pleading pitifully into it. Slowly but surely, the heat of annoyance slowly start to fade, cooling until you were left with the cold numbness of sadness that filled you all the way to your fingertips. "Spinel..."

Slowly, you felt yourself start to sink down to the ground, unconsciously pulling her into your body and wrapping your arms around her into a gentle hug. From there her trembling and sobbing become more prominent, and you find your eyes start to sting with the warmth of tears from how broken and pained she sounded. You felt the dull ache in your chest as she clung to you like her gem depended on it. "Hey, Hush now, it's alright..." you murmured softly, pressing your head comfortingly against hers. She sniffles, shaking her head with a whimper. "N-No it's not." She hiccupped, burying her face into your shoulder. "Look at what I've done," She buries her face in the crook of your neck. "I... I've wrecked... I've wrecked everything."

"Come now, not everything." You assured her, rubbing the back of her head. "Earth is being repaired, and steven's still in one piece, so-"

"No." She cut you off sharply, hugging you tighter, trembling harder as another wave of sorrow crashed over her. "I... wrecked everything... everything with you!"

A ball of ice froze in your chest, as her words echoed dully in the room, like a water droplet in a cave. "What... what do ya mean?"

She sniffled hard through her runny nose. "You actually found me to be funny... you actually... liked me... for me... didn't you? But now look at what I've done... I gave you a reminder..." droplets sprinkled onto your back as she continued numbly. "A reminder to why I'm just no good at all..."

You felt her tighten her grip on you, sobbing louder into your shoulder, feeling the warmth of tears running down your back, muttering apology after apology into it. You practically felt the guilt in her voice.

By golly... she's more broken then I am...

In fact, you were so numb, the tingling of your facial scar seemed foreign to you.

"Aw spinel..." you crooned, playing with her pigtail gently. "It... It ain't your fault, doll." You tightened your grip on her subtly, nuzzling the side of her head. "Ya weren't thinkin' clearly, is all. The gem I fought at the top of that injector... that wasn't you."

Spinel sniffled and whimpered quietly, trembling from residual tears. "Relax, hun... deep breaths..." You rubbed her back gently, listening to her deep, yet shaky breaths, her trembling slowly starting to mellow out. "That's it. Relax..."

You sat there for a few more minutes, letting her settle down, whilst shushing her and rubbing her back. She relaxes more in your hold, her whimpering coming to a stop, to you find yourself smiling slightly. However, after looking around the shiny pink enclosure, you sneered slightly in distaste. We'll never be able to sort ourselves out if we continue to sit in the room of the gem who started all of this mess.

You breathed in deep, tightening your grip on her into a firm hold, standing to your feet effortlessly, making her gasp in startlement at the abrupt action. "Wh-?"

"Let's get outta here, doll." You murmured. "Go ta earth n' get ya some fresh air. Sound good?" You feel her tense up ever so slightly at your proposal, tightening her grip on you slightly. "I promise you, it'll be okay. A lot has changed since then. Humans are more sufficient then ya think." There was a few more minutes of mulling, before she relaxes again with a soft sigh and sniffle, and you felt her nod with a soft 'mhm..' You gave the faintest of smiles at this and patted her back softly. "Atta' girl. Then we could try n sort things out once we get get ya nice and calm... Now," you turned to blue pearl, who was still silently standing at attention near the door. Her expression still wasn't very readable, but you could tell she was visibly relieved at the relaxed, if a little plaintiff expression you wore, in contrast to the grumpy scowl you previously had. "Tell the diamonds that I'm taking spinel out to earth for a bit." BP, tilted her head slightly, taking on the look of worry. "It won't be long. We just... need to get some things sorted out before we can sit comfortably in a room like this."

Blue pearl looked hesitant. Spinel hasn't been on homeworld for too long, and the diamonds are still quite protective of her; especially considering she was Pink's long lost treasure; the closest thing they have to her aside from steven himself. Naturally she was weary of her suddenly going off to earth. But her hidden eyes scanned you both pensively, from your relaxed demeanor to spinel, who rested calmly in your arms, wrapping her legs around your waist, while playing with your suspenders slightly. And while she still occasionally sniffled and hiccuped, she was overall in a calmer state of mind than before. Heck this is the first time she has given her full cooperation to any gem, let alone allow anyone to touch her without batting them away with enlarged hands or snapping at them to get away from her. So far, you've been proven to be more effective than blue's clouds 9× over. She couldn't deny progress like this.

She bowed her head respectively to you. "As you wish. Best of luck to you both." You nodded to the blue gem, warmth reigning in your eyes. "Thank ya kindly fer your cooperation." You bounced spinel slightly and made your way out the door. "C'mon doll. I know the perfect place to unwind."

Spinel, while still inwardly unsure, nodded again, resting her chin on your shoulder, giving you the faintest of replies.

"Okay.."