part 10: in the garden...

In a flash, you both arrive to a rather old, decrepit garden of some type. Grey, withered plant life all around, which looked like it would be extravagant if it were alive.

You looked around in awe for a moment until spinel gasped and raced off the launch pad. This startled you into a chase after her. "wait up, dollface!" You called, managing to get her to slow to a stop. She let you catch-up to her, sadly glancing out from the corner of her eye as you caught up to her side. "What is this place, hun?" Spinel sighed and shut her eyes. "This was our garden." She said, her voice quiet and plaintiff. "A special world built just for Pink and I." you look down at her, eyes suddenly wide in shock. "Pink diamond?" you ask, a dawning dread washing over you. She she doesn't look up, and instead answers with a barely visible nod. "Oh.. dear..." while part of you knew Steven's late mother played a part in the pink gem's vengeful nature, you couldn't help but dread to hear what she did to cause it. "She... she was my.. first best friend." Her eyes clenched. "At least... I thought she was." You looked at her incredulously. "W-what do ya mean by thought, sweets?" You asked absentmindedly, already fearing the worst.

She looked down at you, her face desolate. With a sigh, she looked away plaintiffly. "On homeworld... Pink... she was sad and lonely." she started, looking at her feet. "But here, she wasn't. we'd play for hours." she shivered slightly, looking up into the sky, like she was digging deeper into her lost memories. and the deeper she got, the more sadder she became. "But.. she... wanted a colony more than anything." You frowned deeply, sensing the route this was going. "And one day... her wish came true." A thin, weak smile stretched her lips. "I was so excited! a brand new place to play!" You blinked, multiple times. "but... then... wha... what happened?" You asked, desperately hoping it wasn't what you think it was. she just stared, almost vacantly ahead.

"Here in the garden... let's play a game... I'll show you how it's done..." she raised her chin. "Here in the garden.. stand very still... this'll so much fun..."

she then grew a light grin. "And then she smiled... that's what I'm after. the smile in her eyes, the sound of her laughter..." her smile then faded and her eyes darkened again. "happy to listen... happy to play... happily watching her drift... away."

She then started walking, prompting you to follow, spinel started up again, stopping her walk again. "happily waiting... all on my own... under the endless sky..." she looked up at the sky at this verse. "counting the seconds... standing alone... as thousands of years go by..." she clenched her fists and furrowed her brow. "happily wondering, night after night, is this how it works, am I doing it right..?" she shook her head. "happy to listen.. happy to stay... happily watching her drift.... away..." she then took your hand and started to walk-spin with you at this verse. "You keep on turning pages, for people who don't care, people who don't care about you..." She then released you, kneeling down and plucked a withered flower from its dried roots, "and it still takes you ages... to see that no one's there... see that know one's there... see that no one's there..." she handed you the flower, in which the wind blew it away moments after. "everyone's gone on.. without you..."

She suddenly stiffened. "...finally something. finally news... about how the story ends..." she clenched her eyes. "she doesn't exist now... survived by her son... and all over her brand new friends..." your eyes widened, a silent gasp erupting from you, as your worst fear has been realized. "It's that lovely? isn't it cool? and isn't it cruel, and aren't I a fool to have... happily listened... happy to stay... happily watching her drift..."

She started to glow brightly, white light engulfing her completely.

"drift..."

You watched with sympathetic eyes as her heart gemstone slowly rotate to the inverted position it was once,