26🌘

Peter

I didn't remember what happened after Eason said that. All I remember was running away from him, running away as fast as possible, needing to get as much distance between me and that man as possible.

I heard them shouting behind me, begging me to come back, but I wasn't listening. All I could hear was the pounding of my heart and blood rushing to my ears.

Without thinking, I shifted into a falcon and took to the sky. I had no idea where I was flying or where I needed to go, only knowing that I had to get away.

I flew over the treetops as fast as my wings could carry me. Eventually, the trees disappeared and I was greeted with tall buildings and houses. I'd flown into town and I was heading towards a neighborhood I didn't recognize. I faltered for a moment before a house from down below caught my attention.

It was Laura's house. I was in her neighborhood.

I had no idea why I was here since there was nothing she could do to help, but I flew down anyway and landed on the porch in her backyard.

My mind raced as I scrambled to come up with what I was going to say. I'd disappeared for a month or more without any word and now I was going to be appearing at her house unannounced. She'd probably be pissed about me just showing up here without any warning and have a lot of questions. I braced myself for both.

I still had no idea what I was seeking here, except she was the only one I could think of to go to. 

I shifted into my human form and silently approached the back window and peered in, trying to see if she was inside or not.

At first, I couldn't see anything, then I saw a blonde girl who looked a lot like Laura move in the doorway, holding a red phone in her hand and waving it vigorously. Laura appeared and tried to snatch the phone away from who I guessed was her sister but the other girl held it out of her reach.

I could hear shouting coming from inside. I watched as Laura pushed the other girl and knew this was definitely not the time or the place. The blonde girl pushed Laura back and they got into a shoving match. An older woman who closely resembled Laura pushed herself between the two girls, screaming at them to stop.

Yes, definitely not the time or the place. It was best if I got out of there.

I stepped back and winced as one of the floorboards beneath my feet let out a loud whine. Laura snapped her head around and we made eye contact.

There was no getting out of this now.

EDITED: 8/24/21