47🌘

Laura

I quickly shifted into my human form and rushed over to Ruben as he shifted into his human form as well. "Ruben, I can -"

"Is this his big bad secret you were keeping?" he demanded, his glowing brown eyes boring into mine.

"Yes," I said, trying to keep my voice calm at the storm of emotions that was passing over his face. "I didn't want to tell you because it wasn't my secret to tell."

He didn't respond, looking over my shoulder at where Peter was standing, his expression cold and unreadable but his eyes showed a mix of shock and fury. The shock I could understand, but why was he furious?

I put my hand on his arm and tried to get him to look at me. "Ruben, I was trying to protect him. Hybrids are always being threatened, killed, harass -" 

He stepped around me and started to storm over to Peter. "Why the hell did you bring her into this?"

I blinked in surprise, not expecting that reaction.

I rushed after him. "Ruben -"

He ignored me. "Why the hell would you let her know who you are and put her in danger?"

An angry flush came over Peter's face as his hands balled into fists. "Dude, don't even try it."

Ruben shoved him backward, causing Peter to stumble. 

"What the hell is wrong with you?!" Ruben shouted. "Is your life so pathetic you had to drag her in it?"

Peter growled once he regained his footing and shoved him back even harder, causing Ruben to nearly fall on his ass. "I didn't tell her! She saw me by accident!"

Derek rushed in between them and pushed them back. "Guys, cut it out! Now's not the time."

Grandma rushed forward and grabbed Ruben by his shirt and pulled him back. "He's right. Now's not the time. Peter never willingly told her. She found out by accident."

Ruben's eyes widened when he turned to look at her. "You knew?"

"Yes, I knew, and right now, it's not important. What's important is that we get somewhere safe and make sure Caius is far behind." 

Anger flared in Ruben's eyes but he nodded.

Alison suddenly let out a cry. I spun around and saw her kneeling on the ground, holding her stomach, her face contorted in pain. Grandma, Derek, and I rushed over to her.

"What's wrong?" I demanded, my heart racing wildly. Oh god, was there something wrong with the baby?

"She's having contractions," Grandma said as she kneeled beside her. "She's not in labor. She's only five months along so she's nowhere ready for the baby yet." 

"It hurts," she groaned.

"I know, honey," Grandma said gently. "Just try to relax and breathe."

A feral expression filled Ali's face. "How the hell can I relax and breathe when I'm being effing ripped in half?!"

Grandma looked back at her calmly. "I know it hurts, but you have to relax. You need to breathe."

Alison closed her eyes and took deep breaths. Sweat dripped down her face as her face scrunched even tighter with pain, her hands clutching her swollen belly.

I took one of her hands and squeezed gently. "It's going to be okay, Ali. It'll be over soon."

She squeezed my hand back to the point I thought it was going to break.