30🌘

Ruben

I paced back and forth in Nick's small, cramped guest bedroom, impatiently waiting for Laura to text me back. It was Saturday, the agreed day we would head to the Moonblood Clan together. I texted her, asking her if she was ready and what time she wanted to meet.

She didn't respond to any of the messages. At first, I wasn't too worried; maybe her battery died, maybe she was too busy trying to sneak off from her family. But it had been nearly four hours and she still hadn't responded.

I was growing worried. Had her family found out? Did something happen? Was she hurt?

Nick was at work, and I was alone in his house. He'd make fun of me for worrying but I couldn't help it. I knew, deep down, that something had happened.

I texted her again, still no response. I did, however, get a text from my mom, ordering me to come back.

She'd been texting me nonstop to order me to come back home before she called the police and reported me as a runaway. At this point, I knew she was bluffing. I'd been at Nick's house for two days and she would've called the cops already if she truly wanted to.

I rolled my eyes and tossed my phone on the bed. Why she was so dead set on me coming back, I had no clue, but I truly didn't care, even if she did call the cops. I wanted nothing more to do with my so-called 'parents'. I wouldn't call them, text them, visit them, or anything. I was through with them. I was done with their bullshit. They'd spent the eighteen years of life putting me down and making me miserable, and I was done.

I knew there were going to be people telling me I would change my mind, that I would regret cutting them off, but I knew I wouldn't. I already felt lighter that I hadn't talked to them in the two days I'd been here.

I turned my attention back to the topic I was worried about at the moment, which was where the hell was Laura? Why wasn't she answering me?

I roughly ran my fingers through my hair in agitation, wincing as my elastic band was yanked out. I growled in frustration and tied my hair back, frustration boiling over.

I finally tried calling her, and she, fortunately, picked up.

"Laura!" I couldn't stop myself from nearly shouting. "Where the hell have you been? I've been trying to text you all day!"

"Are you Ruben?" a female voice similar to hers answered instead.

I stilled. I was definitely not expecting that.

"Hello?" the girl on the other end said in annoyance. "Are you Ruben? Are you going to answer or are you going to keep breathing in the phone like a creep?"

I quickly hung up, questions spinning around and around in my head. Who was that? Why did she have Laura's phone?

I groaned and rubbed my hands over my face. My nerves were shot and I couldn't take it anymore.

I grabbed my phone and my car keys and stormed out of the house. Laura had texted me her address in case I wanted to come by. I was downright scared for her at this point and wanted to know if she was okay.

I got in Nick's car - he walked to work - and pulled out of the driveway. He'd be pissed I took his car, but I didn't care.

I started to drive to her house. I had to know what was going on.

As I drove, my phone started to ring. I quickly grabbed it and glanced at the caller ID. It was an unknown number; I hesitated before answering. They picked up immediately.