56🌘

Ruben

I parked outside the Moonblood Clan's property, watching as Laura and Peter got out of his car. They talked and laughed, holding hands.

I cursed myself as I watched them walk inside the gates, wondering how I could've been such an idiot.

The so-called 'job opportunity' Nick had described was working on his uncle's farm for little to no money. It had been a waste and I came back here. I tried to call Ben, but he told me that once a shapeshifter leaves a Clan, there's no coming back. I went ahead and got my tattoo removed, which hurt like a bitch. I had no Clan, and it left a hollow feeling in my chest.

While I'd been in North Carolina with Nick, I'd missed this place something fierce and realized it hadn't been this place that was preventing me from moving on.

I'd thought, even though I couldn't make things right with the Clan, I could at least make things right with Laura. Of course, all my calls and texts were ignored, but I didn't blame her one bit. I'd left her out of the blue. On top of that, I'd pushed her away completely. I knew she wouldn't try to chase me after that. There was no way she was going to allow someone who treated her so poorly back in her life. I at least held on to the hope that she'd at least call me back, but it seemed like she had blocked me completely.

I now found myself utterly alone, and I deserved it.

I saw the happiness on Laura's face and felt a small sense of relief. At least she was happy. At least she had someone. As much as it killed me to admit it, Peter had been there for her more than I'd ever been and I knew he was the right person for her. As much as my heart shattered at seeing her so happy with that guy, I was glad she had at least some happiness in her life. If anyone in this world deserved even the smallest shred of happiness, it was Laura Paige Harper.

I sighed heavily and drove away. I'd made my bed and now I had to lay in it.

I hit the road, scared and nervous about what was to come. I knew I'd be able to find my way again eventually.

I headed down a new path, where a new journey laid ahead of me.

EDITED: 9/1/21