34🌘

Peter

"Who's that?" Alison demanded and jumped to her feet, staring at Eason warily.

"No one, it's okay," I answered distractedly, glaring at the sorcerer, who flinched at my stare. "Just go inside. I'll handle it."

"Do you know him?"

"Yes, and I'll send him away."

She hesitated.

I gently nudged her to the door. "Go. I'll be okay."

I waited until I knew she was safely inside before storming over to him and getting only inches away from his face. "What in the hell are you doing here?"

He met my glare steadily. There was pain in his eyes at the fury that was sure etched on my expression but I didn't give a rat's ass. "I wanted to make sure you were okay. Corny, Lydia, and I have been looking for you everywhere."

"I didn't want to be found. I want you to leave me the hell alone!"

He grabbed my arm before I could turn away. "Peter, just hear me out, please. I know you're angry and want nothing to do with me, which you have every right to, but you need to come with me. Right now, it's not safe for you and you need to be in an environment that can help with your powers. Lydia wasn't lying when she said not being able to manage your two sides can eventually kill you. I'm just trying to help." 

I shook my head. "I don't believe a word that's coming out of your mouth. Not a single one."

"Peter," he said through clenched teeth. I could tell his own patience was wearing thin. "I'm not asking you to trust me beyond getting you to safety - I'm asking you to be reasonable and to not do anything more reckless."

I took a deep, cleansing breath and looked away, running my hand through my hair. "What is this place you're wanting to take me to?"

"The compound your mother and I were staying at before Caius abducted us. It's the safest place for us at the moment."

"No," I growled. "That woman is not my mother. She is your wife. My real mother was the one who raised me. Don't ever forget that."

More pain clouded his face, but he didn't say anything.

I read aura, trying to see if I could detect any deceit from him. When I saw that there was none, that he was indeed telling the truth about the compound, then I knew it was probably for the best that I go with him. There was no way I could continue staying with the Harper family and I couldn't burden Laura anymore than I already did. She already had enough stuff to worry about without me adding on. 

"Alright," I told him. "I'll go with you. But if this is a trick, then I will kill you."

He spread his hands out in a placating manner. "I promise, there are no tricks. This place is safe and we'll take care of you."

I nodded. "I just have to say goodbye first."

I walked over to the back door before he could reply. I opened and found Alison by the sink, peering out at the yard.

"Are you okay?" she asked instead of questioning who Eason was and what we were doing.

"Yes," I lied. I was anything but fine. I wanted that man to stay the hell away from me and to never bother me again, but apparently, that wasn't going to happen. "I have to go."

"Where?"

"Somewhere else. I can't tell you. When you talk to Laura again, can you tell her I'm sorry for barging in here and tell her I hope everything works out for you?"