21// The Parents

Start writing your story.

"I advise you to wait until we investigate this situation before we continue with this divorce, Mr. James."

"I don't want to wait; she can have my fucking condo for all I care!" Cesar was done at this point. His girl and daughter are gone, god knows where. He drove back home to figure out this divorce immediately. He wants Jen out of his life.

"We found something, and we are almost done finding out what it is. Just give us 24 hours."

"You have 24 hours. Then I want this divorce to be finalized." He says, then hung up. He pinches the bridge of his nose in frustration. Venus is the type of woman that doesn't take bullshit for long. She is an amazing independent woman and can up and leave him in seconds, which terrifies him. He let her slipped through his fingers once and told himself he would never do that again.

As he stared through the living room looking at Venus heels left by the door and Mercy's dolls on the couch, he got this feeling of gratefulness and never wanted to take his family for granted.

His phone pinged from an incoming message and saw it was Venus. He jumped up and grabbed his coat to meet her but not before he makes a quick stop first.

***

Sitting in her parents' living room, Venus felt uneasy. She hasn't talked to her parents in years. When she was young and gotten pregnant, her mom was very disappointed in her and cut her off. That's when Becca and Ben took her in and helped her out, and she cut off all connection with her mom but kept in touch with her sister. There are still some feelings since they never resolved them. "Mommy, mommy look!" Mercy waves from the backyard where she and Aliah are playing in the pool. Venus gave her a thumbs up right before her parents walked in.

She turned and looked as her heart sunk. "Hey guys, how was your trip?" She got up and ran towards them to help with their luggage.

"Hi baby, wow, you look beautiful. Hug me first." Her mom dropped her bags and brought her daughter into a hug. Venus was shocked; she honestly didn't think her mom wouldn't be affectionate. Her stepfather brought her in a hug as well. "Do you all want anything to drink? I made mimosas." Venus said as they nodded their head. They all gathered into the kitchen, being near one another for the first time in a long time. "How are you? I heard you got a promotion! Congratulations, Aliah told us. " Her mom says enthusiastically.

"Yeah, a few months ago."

"And you darkened your hair, and it's so curly and healthy. Joe, in Highschool, Venus would lighten her hair and make it straight, trying to look like her white father. I told her too many times to accept her blackness." She rolled her eyes.

"I had an identity crisis. When you grow up in a world where white is the standardized beauty and most of the representation in TV and Film, people are white; you will feel that's what you look like. I always thought that's why my dad left. After all, I felt because I didn't look like him."

"I'm sorry, I didn't know you felt like that." Her mom said, teary-eyed in shock.

"Of course you didn't; we both were bad at communicating with each other."

"It was my fault. If I hadn't worked so damn much-" She said as she choked up as Joe Rubbed her back.

"No, we both need to take accountability for our actions. I rebelled yes because I didn't connect with my mother or father, so I sought out a married man. but I should've come to you too; I could've suggested therapy, anything."

"I'm sorry I pushed you away."

"I pushed you away too, mom, and I'm sorry for that. Let's move forward because there are many more things to look forward to in the future." She brought her in a hug rocked back and forth. "I love you.

"I love you too."

"Mommy, I'm thirsty." She heard wet feet smacking against the floor.

"Mercy. Come meet your grandmother." She grabs her by the hand and brings her towards the kitchen.

"I have two grandma's?" She says confusingly.

"Yes baby, remember, grandmas, are your parents, parents."

"Oh," She stares up at Venus' mom. "Hi, Grandma."

"Hi baby, can I get a hug?" She held her arms out as Mercy ran into them.

(A/N Graduated college two weeks ago with my bachelor's in PR and Advertising with a Minor in Marketing and took the LSAT that same week, so please don't yell at me for not updating. I've been super busy, lol. Anyways. Updates coming every day now. We are getting closer to the end. Bye!)