23// The Arrest

It's been three days since the gender reveals, and Cesar was shocked about the things he found out about Jen. She's had a separate account with over one hundred thousand dollars that he had no clue about. But, of course, he's been keeping Venus updated since he told her he's going through with the divorce. Still, she told him he doesn't have to; she trusts him, and this is between Jen and him, but Cesar insisted that this will strengthen their relationship if they keep the communication flowing.

After picking up his daughter from school and taking her out for ice cream, he took a stop by Jen salon. "Dad, what are we doing here?" Mercy says as she unbuckles her seat belt. "Am I getting my hair done?!"

"Mommy would never let a white lady work on your hair, baby, no." Mercy looks to her father in confusion.

"Why, daddy?"

"Because your hair is different in a good way, and people, who aren't black, tend to don't know how to handle your hair." So he says as he pulls her out of her car seat. Cesar has the feeling in his belly that this isn't a good idea, but he wanted to serve her these papers himself.

"Cesar, what a pleasant surprise. Didn't expect to see you here." Jen walks over to her ex-husband and immediately looks down at Mercy. "Hi, little one. She looks like you, and congratulations on the second one; I don't know if I told you that." She says as she walks to her client behind her chair. "So, what do you want."

"I'm here to give you these." He hands her the papers.

"Divorce paper? Okay, you know what will happen when I sign." She shrugs and starts brushing her client's hair.

"I doubt you will do something stupid when you see this." He hands her the other documents.

"Cesar, what the fuck? This is my money; I swear to god, if you touch this money, I will murder you." She steps forward.

"Woah, lady, back up off my dad." Mercy yells.

"It's okay, honey," He says to her as he looks back up to Jen, "listen, we don't have to fight, and you can keep your money, and I keep mines. Sign the papers, and we can move on with our lives." Jen rolls her eyes, walks towards her drawer, and pulls out a pen to sign the papers.

***

"You feel him moving?" Venus asks as Mercy searches for the baby's kicks. Mercy's face lit up when she felt a nudge on her tummy. They are currently lying on the living room couch watching the Backyardigans. She puts her hand on her baby to feel him kick while also looking down t her new bling. She still can't believe he proposed. Now that he and Jen are officially divorce, she can finally move forward with their wedding, which is coming sooner than she would've thought since Cesar wants a quick engagement. But she's honestly happy and doesn't care. Whatever Cesar wants, she wants, as long as her family is together. Her phone rings right after and it's Cesar's office. He's been working so much these past few weeks because he wants to get enough work done before taking time off before the baby is born.

"Hi, Naomi, what's up?"

"Um, Mrs. James," She says as Venus rolls her eyes; Cesar is now telling everyone to call her that around the office. Her tone of voice scares Venus, though.

"Spit it out, Naomi; what's wrong?"

"Cesar got arrested. from beating up some guy named Jack."

She sits us quick.

"WHAT."