Chapter Forty-One

“Don’t be nervous.” Daniel said taking my hand.

                I gave him a dirty look. “That’s easy for you to say.”

                “No. It really isn’t.” He smiled reassuringly and gave my hand a light squeeze. “I’m going to tell her too.”

                I scoffed. “As soon as this plane lands you’re going to let go of my hand and we’re going to go separate ways!” So why was I doing this?

                “Just so we can end things with the others! I’m going to tell Tori.”

                “Yeah. And she won’t leave you.” I muttered.

                “You want to be with him then?”

                “I don’t know. But I don’t have a choice in the matter anymore now do I?” I pulled my hand away and crossed my arms over my chest. The turbulence was my least favorite part.

                As far as business went, the trip was a success. As far as orgasms went, the trip was never ending it seemed. As far as faith and morals went the trip was a fucking disaster.

                Daniel was all kinds of hyped up on the love train. When the killer shark Alex had called him a pompous fool he’d laughed. That’s when I knew he had it bad.

                Things just kept getting worse and worse. Daniel had taken our stupid sexual frustration as a clear sign that we were back together and happier than ever. He certainly seemed happier than ever that is. And I was left bewildered and terrified at the havoc I had reached again. What. Was. I. Doing.

                This was so unfair to Miguel.

                Frank had gotten so sick, he spent the entire three days holed up in his hotel room and Daniel tried desperately to do the same in mine. Running out the mouth about how great it was going to be to get together again, and how we would have to get pizza first thing to celebrate when we got home.

                First thing when I got home had a different agenda for me. I had to tell Miguel. I had to. And coming off the airport and separating from Daniel made my mind even more confused.

                When Daniel wasn’t around it was easy to convince myself that I didn’t love him. But when he was here, that was a different story. How was I going to tell Miguel? I’d just do it fast and blunt, like ripping off a bandaid. Then, like adding salt to the wound I’d tell him everything. It would hurt but it was the right thing to do. Lord knows I’d done enough of the wrong things lately.

                I’d lead with “I’m sorry I cheated on you” and follow up with “We were drinking and talking about the past and just got carried away and I regret it so much.” Etc.

                I took a deep breath. There he was, and of course he had a bouquet. Why wouldn’t he have a bouquet? He was damn near perfect after all.

                He waved animatedly and began weaving in and out of large groups of people to meet me. I walked quickly to meet him as well. When we finally reached each other I had the biggest fake smile I could possibly muster plastered on but still his face fell when he saw me. He let his arms fall to his side still clutching the flowers. “You’re leaving me.” He said flatly.

                I took a deep breath. “I think you’ll actually be leaving me.”

                He watched me intently for a long time, studying my face. I wondered if it was written there, could the whole airport read the story of my sorted affair? “You slept with him?”