Chapter Nine

"Hey...mom..." I muttered curled up on my couch with a tub of the good ole Ben and Jerry's. "Everything is..uh, great." I lied. I twirled my spoon around the icecream, mixing the vanilla and the fudge together to make a light brown paste. "No really. Everything is just, fantastic." I dropped my head back. Everything is great, I'm just sleeping with a married man twice my age, the usual.

"Dinner? This Saturday? Uhm...well he's very busy you know..." I pinched the bridge of my nose. Leave it to my mom to be looking forward to seeing my poor, cheated on, boyfriend than me. "No mom, he didn't 'come to his senses and kick my ass to the curb' yet." But he would shortly I'm sure.

"I'm sure everything is fine." I lied. Why had I bothered to call? "Alright, I'll let you know...I love you too." I hung up the phone and threw it bitterly to the couch.

I pressed on my temples with both of my index fingers and thought back to just two days ago. At the airport...

Daniel rubbed the back of his head. We were at the awkward goodbye stage. "Tori will be glad to have me home early I guess." He said lightly.

I nodded. What exactly was I supposed to say to that? I'm glad you can go home to your wife after banging me silly?

I mean, she was expecting me gone for another three days."

"Yeah, it must be nice at least you have someone to come home to."

"You don't?"

"Nope. Just a big ole empty apartment." I regretted it as soon as I said it. It came out inviting. "I mean, I had a cat once." I added quickly trying to shake my 'sexy invitation' into more of a casual conversation thing.

"Oh?" He looked suddenly amused.

"Yeah." I muttered and kicked the tip of my shoes off the ground.

"And?"

"It ran away."

He laughed and suddenly pulled my bags from my hand.

"Oh no I can-" But he'd already started walking away.

"It doesn't really make sense to take separate taxies does it?"

Well no but-"

"I guess you wouldn't really care though since the company is expensing it."

I frowned. "No, you're right."

The car ride was equally awkward as the rest of the plane right had been in utter silence. Well, let me rephrase that, the car ride WAS equally awkward until...

Somehow we were in the backseat of a cab all tangled up in each other. I don't even know how it happened. I think I had reached across him to grab my purse at the same time we had hit a bump that sent his phone onto the floor on my side. He had been reaching for his phone, I had been reaching for my purse, and somehow we had found each other.

He had my back pressed against the door of the car and I had a leg wrapped around his back. Where had our seatbelts gone to?! This certainly didn't seem safe, shouldn't the driver have some sort of regulatoin about this stuff?

One of us accidentally hit the button to roll the window down, which my head was resting on, and it scared the absolute crap out of me. I screamed and then we both laughed and then I was ontop of him and he kept wiggling around under me fighting against the buckles which were under his back and apparently very uncomfortable. And then the car stopped abruptly and we both rolled off the seat.