Chapter Thirty

There were several knocks at the door. Oh shoot. I was trying to get ready. Amy and I had a date. We were to go on a serious shopping spree. Her wedding was nearly two years away but she wanted to do everything on her own so we needed to head over to the craft store and get everything started. We had a long day planned full of crafting, Chinese food, and lots of gossip, and yet here I was lingering around in my bra and underwear only halfway done with my makeup.

"Come in!" I yelled and there were several more knocks. Of course she couldn't hear my from my "fuck it all" room. I ran out into the hallway and into the living room yelling "Come in" repeatedly. The door swung open. "I know, I know I'm sorry I'll just be-" I stopped midsentence and stared.

"What are you doing here?"

"You've been pissed at me for a week now. You won't take my phone calls or answer my texts, what else was I supposed to do?"

"Take the hint?" I offered back and dipped out of the room and into my room where I slipped on a short silk robe.

"It's not like it's something I haven't seen before." Daniel pointed out as I stepped back into the room.

"Shut up!" I waved an accusing finger at him.

"Come on Ryan! Cut me a break!" Daniel groaned.

"Go talk to your wife. And now, seriously, you need to get out of here!" Amy would be here soon. She knew all about what had happened and was really disappointed I hadn't thrown that paper weighed into his head rather than the wall.

"No! Not until you talk to me!"

"Get out of my house!" I yelled and stamped my foot.

"You said come in!"

"I was expecting someone else." I said coldly. I saw immediate hurt flash through his eyes and it made me want to run over to him and hug him. I wanted to assure him quickly that it was just my sister who I was waiting for. Somehow I restrained myself.

"Ryan." He said in a voice so desperate it made me want to jump his bones right here. I forced an annoyed expression. "I can't lose you."

"Well that's a pity."

"You're so damn stubborn!"

"No! I'm so damn stupid!" I yelled back. "Stupid to have ever fallen for a married man! Get out of my house! Get out now before I call the police!"

"Ryan-"

For affect I grabbed my phone and held it up threateningly.

"If you would just-"

"Be awful hard to explain this was to your wife wouldn't it? I call the police and she has to bail you out because you broke into your mistress's house? Hm?"

"I hardly broke in." He pointed out.

"Try me." I warned.

He frowned deeply. I could tell he was holding back a ton of frustration at this moment. He wanted to yell and fight with me, if I was yelling and fighting I was still his to yell and fight with! But by urging him from my house I was edging the door closed. Something he couldn't let happen.

He finally began stepping backwards towards the door. "You know you'll never find a job as high paying as this one." He was right. I unlocked my phone. "You've barely even been on the team for a year, hardly an impressive resume." I hit the little green phone button to pull up the number log. "They'll see that you hadn't been here long and assume it was too much for you to handle."