Chapter Eight

I chose an aisle seat. I hated flying, I didn't want to look out the window and see how high we were and I certainly didn't want to get stuck on this plane for even a fraction of a second longer than I had to be by getting stuck in a middle seat. So the aisle seat was the best option. I wouldn't have to crawl over anyone to get to the bathroom, I wouldn't have to see how high we were, I would at least get one arm rest without fighting over it with whoever sat next to me. It was perfect.

My phone buzzed and I grimaced. I slowly opened it up to read the text.

You aren't in your room??

Followed immediately with; Your bags aren't in your room either!

I sighed heavily. Tomorrow for sure. I couldn't handle this. I didn't want to see Daniel again. I would come to get my last paycheck, accept whatever marriage ruining deductions he would hit me with and would go on with my horrible marriage ruining damned to hell life.

I played with the bracelet around my wrist. An expensive silver bracelet with emeralds in it. Something Patrick had given me. Another thing I'd ruined.

"Excuse me miss. My seat is here beside you." A man said from the aisle to my right.

I was so engulfed in examining my bracelet and self-wallowing that I hadn't even noticed him beside me. "Oh, sorry I'm-" I started to stand and looked up to him at the same time and suddenly felt sick to my stomach.

Daniel fucking Metzgar.

"What are you doing here!" I hissed suddenly furious.

"I could say the same to you! I had a feeling you were going to do this so I called the airport to confirm the company's flight charge and of course added my own ticket."

I turned my head away. "I can't believe you!"

"I can't believe you!" He shot back. He squeezed his way past me and I felt a prickle of panic as our bodies brushed across one another momentarily as he tried to make it to his seat beside me.

I sat back down and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Alright Ryan, let's have a civilized conversation."

I turned my head away spitefully.

"I've got six hours to work with here, might as well just handle this like adults."

I turned briefly to stick out my tongue and then turned away again.

He glanced to his left to the woman seated beside the window. "You don't really want me to make a scene out of this do you?"

I rolled my eyes.

"Alright Ryan, I'm sorry that even though I'm married and you're with Patrick that we got-"

I turned quickly and slapped a hand over his mouth. "What is wrong with you? God." I pulled my hand away. "I don't want to talk about this Daniel!" I said in a low voice and turned away.

We grew awkwardly silent until my phone buzzed again. I glanced at it.

What about texting?

"No." I said flatly.

I'm sorry.

I squinted hard at the screen. Was I reading this right? The phone buzzed again in my hand.

Quit making that face

I dropped the phone onto my lap and turned to him. "Why are you sorry?"

He looked confused this time. "You were drunk. I shouldn't have made a move like that."

"But you were drunk too."