The faculty

After high-school I definitely wanted to go to a college, but not just any college, I wanted to go to FER (Faculty of Electrical Engineering and Computing) in Zagreb.

This was [and still is] one of the most prestigious faculties in Croatia so it was really hard to get in with low grades from high-school.

At first I didn't make it, so I entered Faculty of Mechanical Engineering in Slavonski Brod (my father has a master's degree in mechanical engineering).

I have finished the first year of courses there but this was not what I wanted so I tried to get in FER again, and this time I succeeded.

Eventually I got married and started working so the faculty was not a priority and it took 10 years to finish it and attain a master's degree in computer science and engineering.

While there I would often choose more courses for a year than I was obliged, so in the end I had more ECTS points than people usually have. I was very interested in physics, some of the courses I chose were Material Physics (effectively a synonym for Quantum Mechanics) and Deterministic Chaos, which I thought would be helpful in understanding the Universe (at that time I still believed in one universe).

However, at this time I still wasn't devoting much time to physics, I was still pretty much concerned with programming, but I did continuously track what was happening in the world of science and occasionally reading existing theories in physics although I didn't understand much (mainstream mathematics is not complex but a very complicated language and is more abused to conceal, rather than used to reveal, the truth). Deep down I knew that I'll never be happy limiting myself to programming for the rest of my life so this interest could be understood as a precursor to passion for science.