C3: "Idris Drayce: Odd"

.

.

Athanasia inwardly cried for help when he snorted at her. She didn't care who it was; someone just please help her get out of this situation!

"This one does have the most beautiful pair of eyes you'll ever see in your entire lifetime."

Eh..? The princess blinked back in shock, his reply a little unexpected. With his lips curled at one corner, eyes brimming with teasing, Athanasia wanted to hide in her room for the rest of the day. How come this weird person was teasing her?!

The odd magician arched his elegant eyebrow at her speechlessness. "Come, lovely princess, tell this one what you like about this one's eyes."

... HE'S A HUGE NARCISSIST!

.

.

"Well? This one's waiting, lovely princess."

Athanasia sweated in nervousness. Did she really have to play along with him? The more time she spent in his presence, the more nervous she became. She didn't know how she should treat this odd magician. What role would he play in the future?

Was he dangerous?

Was he an ally she could rope to her side?

That was... actually a pretty good idea. From that one demonstration when Idris first arrived, Athanasia was certain that Idris was a powerful magician. He had treated her father's attack like a speck of dust at one corner. "Say, Mister Fairy?"

"Hm?"

"That mister knight who brought you here said that you could have treated my illness. You must be really strong!" Athanasia made an exaggerated motion of her arms, drawing a big circle in the air as if it was the measure of Idris' strength. The smile on her face froze, however, when the amused expression on Idris was washed away.

Did I... do something wrong? Athanasia gulped and stiffly rested her hands back on her laps, pretending that she didn't say anything just a few moments ago. "Princess—" she inwardly winced when the word lovely disappeared. "— may this one ask you a question?"

"Eh..?" Amidst preparing her escape, she blinked in surprise when it hit her that Idris wasn't mad at all. "Sure?"

Like the warm light of the rising sun, jeweled eyes as burning red focused on the tiny little girl before him. "Athanasia de Alger Obelia," the child jerked back, flashes of bewilderment shimmered in her jeweled eyes. "The sound of your soul... is something I have never once encountered before. Are you willing to die under my hands?"

"... huh?" The smile on the little girl's face was wiped away by those words. The amiable and easy-going ambience from just a second ago vanished like the fleeting life of a bubble. Athanasia stared at those saccharine jeweled eyes, realizing that she hadn't seen wrong earlier.

Idris Drayce did have jeweled eyes; much more, they were a shade of red that would enchanted anyone. If they were a pair of authentic jewels, people from all over would have fought for ownership. But... my soul? Athanasia left the comfort of her seat in abruptness, causing the chair to fall back.

Tense silence permeated the air as the magician simply smiled. "What... What are you talking about, Mister Fairy?" Lily, where are you? Fear coiled around her heart as breathing became something difficult to do. Die? She didn't want to die! All these years she had been trying to survive and she refused to die in the hands of someone unknown.