Chapter 53: Living on the Edge (Hiccup)

MY GOD, I'M EXHAUSTED, BUT HERE IT IS! And only 5 days later than initially planned. I literally only slept at the beginning of my treatment cycle, maybe this is my brain's way of compensating...

Also, taking this moment to thank @xFandom_Queenx for helping with ideas! You're the best!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- -- - - - - - -- - - -- - - -- -- - -- - -- - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - -- -- -

My mind drifted out of the gentle, dream-filled slumber it had been deeply wrapped in just moments ago. It was hard to say what compelled me back into reality, but at the very least, there wasn't an inconvenience that snapped me awake. That had been a pattern the past few nights, causing all the Riders to get up from their houses and get to work on plugging up small volcanic craters that spewed out lava. Tonight, thankfully, that seemed to have stilled for at least a while.

Without those distractions, I was able to lay there and relax as I attempted to fall back asleep. I couldn't sit up or shift around, but I didn't mind even the slightest bit. Reign's head rested against my chest, her hair all brushed to one side to ensure it wouldn't cover my face as we slept. She was laid out on her back—quite the rare occurrence for her—allowing the moonlight to perfectly fall on the gold and black ring snugly fit around the third finger on her left hand. After the war with the Hunters had come to an end, we finally decided we could allow our betrothal to be out on display, and now she never dared to take it off, even in messier situations. Just glancing at it caused my heart to skip, eager for that day that was now creeping closer. We had a few plans to take care of—something my father interestingly completely trusted to the two of us—and after that, clothing would have to be made, but we would otherwise be good to go.

Both of us shot up, nearly thrown out of bed as the world around us shook. Reign and I glanced at each other before pushing ourselves up and rushing for our dragons, immediately recognizing the volcanic tremors. We were jarred back and forth as we finished securing our armor, and right as I threw the door open, the most powerful one we'd felt so far nearly threw the both of us off our feet. Hopefully, the other Riders were ready to go.

"Hiccup." Reign and I braced ourselves as another tremor shook. "Was that—"

"More intense than normal?" I finished. "No doubt."

Reign yanked me back up onto my feet as I was thrown to the ground, then the two of us rushed for the stables. The rest of the group was already there, securing the miniature cauldrons to their dragons' saddles. Everyone took special care to ensure that the devices were tightly strapped on, then Fishlegs began to distribute the liquid that had so far been working for us.

"All right, everyone got their Gronckle Iron?" I inquired, glancing back at everyone else.

"Yeah," Astrid confirmed, her eyes sweeping over everyone else to confirm.

"Good. Just like we practiced. And don't spill any," I warned. "We can't afford to lose a drop."

Reign, Astrid, Snotlout, and I took off in our designated direction, allowing me to get a full view of the lava flow's intensity. The glowing orange had already seeped into every channel it could find, filling it up completely. The only way we'd be able to stop it at this point was cutting off the source and waiting for it to cool, but with the amount already flowing, the second part of that could take hours, allowing it to rise and reach our homes. The danger of being chased out grew more prominent with each set of explosions.

"Guys, this is worse than I thought," I admitted, unable to draw my eyes away from the horrifying scene.

"Yeah, I know!" Snotlout steered Hookfang closer to his hut. "My 'S'! Hiccup, look at it. You know how attached I am to my 'S'."