Chapter 5: Big Man on Berk (Reign)

I tightened my grip on Shriek's back and tugged a little, attempting to keep her in formation as our group flew over the ocean. There came days where she was particularly rebellious, but of course, she had to pick a day when we had to be extremely careful.

"All right, gang," Hiccup called back to all of us, "we'll buzz past the Scauldron and draw its attention so Astrid, Ruff and Tuff and net it from behind and drag it out to sea, got it?"

"I think we should blast it!" Of course, Tuffnut had the most violent suggestion.

"Stoick just wants us to move the Scauldron out of Berk's fishing lanes, so don't get any crazy ideas," I warned.

"Uh, sorry. Crazy is what we do, Reign. Duh!" My breath hitched for a moment as Ruff turned herself upside down on her dragon's head. Thankfully, my view was obstructed by Fishlegs flying by, and Ruff up righted herself again.

"You guys do realize that your Scauldron's hot water blast can rip the scales right off a Screaming Death?" Fishlegs quivered.

Right then, the head of the Scauldron appeared from underneath the water, heading in the direction of our fishing boats. We needed to stop that thing fast, before it got a little too close for comfort.

"There it is," Hiccup called back to the rest of us. "Let's focus, guys."

Astrid removed the net from the hook on Stormfly's saddle and tossed it toward the twins, while I fell back a little and kept watch from behind. It was a dangerous position to take, considering I could either get caught in the net, or easily hit by the Scauldron's blast, but I could get out of the way quick enough if it came down to it.

"One..."

I leaned forward a little more, preparing for either scenario.

"...two..."

Astrid adjusted her grip on the ropes of the net to make sure it wouldn't slip out.

"...three!"

Suddenly, Fishlegs sneezed so violently that Meatlug was startled to the point where she flew back a little bit. Completely skittish, she fluttered around helplessly, turning and spiraling out of control, until she slammed into Snotlout and knocked him off Hookfang's back. Thankfully, he landed in the net, so we could get him back without much hassle. The noise startled the Scauldron and drew its attention to us, meaning all of this had been lost.

"Abort! Abort!" As Hiccup tried to get us to turn around, Fishlegs and Meatlug crashed into him.

The Scauldron got just close enough to Snotlout to nearly take his head off, but thankfully, at the last minute, Hiccup and Toothless got back up and knocked into it, drawing its attention away from Snotlout. After a single plasma blast, the Scauldron disappeared back into the water.

"Oh, I see how it is. You're allowed to blast it."

"Not the time, Tuff," I groaned. With the Scauldron temporarily appeased, we headed back toward Berk. The moment we landed, Astrid and the twins released Snotlout from the net, while I approached Hiccup, placing a hand on his shoulder. "You okay?" He smiled at me, then reached up and took my hand.

"Perfectly fine."

"You and your snot-rockets almost got me killed!" Snotlout waved his arms wildly, as though he were trying to signal someone for help.