Chapter 66: In Plain Sight (Reign)

This section is going to feature a few chapters narrated from both perspectives, which I think will be good for making sure that we get the plot lines that we want, and the 5th chapter in this section will actually be almost completely unrelated to what actually happens in the episode, and instead will feature a completely original conflict! I'm really excited for everything I'm doing in this final section, and I hope you all are, too.

Also, don't worry about the issue from the last chapter not coming up. It'll be addressed at the end, since that's when it becomes relevant again.

So, now, I invite you to enjoy the final section of this story...

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Weight pulled down on my heart as I waved to Heather, watching her and Windshear disappear into the heavy cloud cover. After Dagur and I told her about our father, and she'd completely read through her own letter, she insisted on going to Vanaheim and visiting his final resting place for a while. Though it worried us, because we had to take care of business on the Edge, Dagur and I agreed to let her go on her own, with the promise that she'd constantly keep an eye out for Flyers and leave the island the way it was when she arrived. Neither of us knew how long she'd be there, but we tried not to pry too much about it; after all, she was nearly 21.

"I can't believe you and Dagur aren't going with Heather to Vanaheim," Fishlegs admitted, turning to me as soon as my sister had completely disappeared.

"Heather wanted to say goodbye to Dad alone," I sighed, grabbing onto my elbows as I crossed my arms.

"You know what I can't believe?" Hiccup, Fishlegs, and I turned back to look at Tuffnut. "If you flip a yak upside-down, it can right itself almost immediately." I raised an eyebrow at him, unsure of how that contributed to the current conversation. "And, you know, that we also never noticed Heather had a Dragon Eye lens smack-dab in the middle of her belt."

He made a good point with that one. We'd known Heather for years, and although the Dragon Eye hadn't become part of our lives until recently, the fact that none of us noticed the lens attached to her belt at any point or time was unusual. Typically, at the very least, Hiccup, Fishlegs, Astrid, and I were quite observant.

"Too bad you don't have a Dragon Eye," Dagur shrugged. "At least we could have a look at the other lenses."

"'Other lenses?'" Hiccup questioned, confused by the wording.

"Well... Dad gave all three of us lenses when we were kids. I use mine to look at stuff or to start fires with the sun."

I blinked at my brother, unsure of how to handle that information at first. Clearly, my lens hadn't made the journey to Berk with me, considering it had been attached to my father's cloak. But, the fact that Dagur never bothered to mention anything about the other lenses was somehow baffling and completely typically for him. I didn't even want to address that second part of the confession—given how he was younger, that came as absolutely no surprise to me, especially because I didn't remember Dad ever mentioning anything about the lenses actually being important in any regard.

"Okay, well, do you still have it?" I inquired, leering forward slightly. Dagur's eager expression quickly dropped.

"No." I shook my head. "But I know who does. Anyway, what does it matter? Not like you have another Dragon Eye lying around."

Hiccup and I smirked at each other, beckoning the other Riders to follow us to the Clubhouse. Once we were within the safety of its walls, he removed the second Dragon Eye from the bag on the back of Toothless' saddle, holding it proudly in the air. My brother stared at the object, his eyes widening in awe along with the others before they fell back again as he was hit with realization.