Chapter 13: Total Nightmare (Reign)

I've sold my free time to this book, but here we are... the last chapter for Season 1. Also, I'm about to drop a reference to the HTTYD books in this chapter, you're welcome :) But, of course, I have to make some speculations for the sake of plot

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

A warm breeze lifted some of the shorter hairs from my shoulders as I pressed the spyglass further against my eye, undoubtedly leaving a mark on the skin. The twins waited to pull the lever next to them, anticipating my signal. Hiccup and Toothless had been gone for quite a while, and if they didn't appear soon, I would honestly consider giving up.

Thankfully, a black blur appeared just on the horizon, looping around the cliffs before diving back down again.

"There they are!" I announced, removing the spyglass from my eye, which caused Astrid to laugh.

"Nice glass mark," she teased, pointing toward me eye.

"Thanks. They're all the rage." The two of us shook our heads, smiling, and focused on the people behind us.

"Close the dome!" Fishlegs ordered. The twins, however, didn't pull the lever like they were supposed to, instead almost seeming to get distracted by their own thoughts, which they felt so inclined as to share with us.

"And so, the drama begins."

"One man, one dragon, one leg..." At least they took that chance to pull down the lever, causing the dome of the dragon training arena to start closing. "...versus one rapidly closing dome." The cloth started to get closer together, giving Hiccup and Toothless very little time to get out of there, lest they risk getting trapped, or getting clamped between the walls—something I'd rather not think about.

"Yeah, no way he's making that," Snotlout stated confidently, crossing his arms as though he could be so sure.

My heart beat finally calmed as the pair shot out from the dome, right at the last second. Involuntarily, I began to laugh, both at the relief of Hiccup getting out of there and the joy of them proving Snotlout wrong. Hiccup and Toothless looped around us once, reveling in their victory, then landed on the wooden dragon head on the top of the dome, smirking down at us.

"All right, we're up." Snotlout motioned for Hookfang, his cockiness overwhelming.

"Nobody's been able to beat the dome except Hiccup," Fishlegs dismissed.

"Nobody 'til now."

"Guys, this was supposed to be a drill," Hiccup sighed, still perched on Toothless atop the dome. "Do you have to turn it into a game?"

"Don't we always?" I shrugged, enjoying the break this gave us. Hiccup opened his mouth to retort, but my words seemed to catch up with him, and he just gave up.

"Fair point."

"'Twas once a drill." I buried my face in my hand as Tuffnut began to drone on again. "Then it became a game. Now, it is theater!"

"Let the drama unfold!" Ruffnut cried, throwing her arm into the air. Snotlout and Hookfang headed toward the edge of the cliff, preparing to take off.

"Whatever it is, it's my turn," Snotlout grunted. The twins began to talk amongst themselves, possibly trying to figure out what would happen to Snotlout if he attempted this. Meanwhile, Hiccup and Toothless landed back on the ground, and the former climbed off and made his way to me. I rested my hands against the back of his neck, smiling as he secured his arms around my waist.