Chapter 70: A Gruff Separation (Reign)

I hope you all enjoy this chapter. It's going to be VERY different, and explore something that will be important later

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ---- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Cold morning winds bit at my face as Toothless and Shriek wove back and forth between each other, attempting to have some fun on patrol. I couldn't blame them, of course—they hadn't been able to fly together in a long while, and today was my last day on the Edge before I headed back to Berserker Island for nearly a month. Apparently, Dagur and Mala had struck up some sort of relationship after the summit meeting, and she needed him for some big, important tradition that the Defenders engaged in. I didn't know why it would take so long, but Heather was still on Vanaheim, so I was the only one left who could take over operations on the island until he returned.

Patrol was really the last chance Hiccup and I had to spend together until I was gone for longer than before.

It had been relatively smooth and uneventful, until I'd spotted a strange ship heading toward the Edge. Hiccup and I hovered nearly above it now, trying to get a closer look with our spyglasses before we landed on the deck, confused as to why there appeared to be no one on board. Our dragons prepared to fire, and I yanked out my sword and shield, in case we were suddenly rushed.

"All right, either you come out, or we're coming in," Hiccup threatened.

When nothing happened, the two of us crept closer to the hatch and opened it up, allowing Toothless to dive in and snatch out a single person. He kicked and screamed, trying to break free from the Night Fury's iron grip. When he finally managed to stand up again, Hiccup and I stared at the man with confusion, recognizing the face, but not understanding why he was out on a boat.

"Tuffnut?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"Uh, Gruffnut, actually." My confusion quickly turned into annoyance. "And, uh, could you get Hiccup's dragon to put me down?" Reluctantly, Hiccup gestured for Toothless to drop the highly disliked Thorston back onto the deck. "You know, 'Toothless,' uh, that is a terrible name for this dragon."

"Gruffnut, why are you coming to the Edge?" Hiccup sighed, attempting to keep him from rambling. "What's the scam this time?"

"Whoa." Gruffnut backed up against the side of the boat as Toothless and Shriek growled at him, threatening to attack at a moment's notice. "Sorry for what happened last time, okay? I was in hot water with some dangerous Vik— " Shriek threatened him with a growl. "Oh, yeah! I mean, I've changed. My time on Dark Deep forced me to reevaluate my entire life. I'm a whole new Nut, a better Nut, an honest, more trustworthy Nut. I even have a job."

His knack for dramatics certainly rivaled his cousin's. And, of course, there was no way to know if he was telling the truth or not, even as he removed a scroll from his belt and presented it, revealing a distinguishable seal.

"That's the Thorston family seal." Hiccup made his way over and took the scroll from Gruffnut. "What is this?"

"It's a message for Cousin Ruffnut and Cousin Tuffnut," he informed us. "I've got to give it to them immediately."

Though neither Hiccup, nor myself, completely trusted Gruffnut on this, if it was legit, the twins would need to get that message as fast as possible. Toothless snatched Gruffnut up again and dangled him from his jaws the entire flight back to the Edge, where we managed to track down the twins. From the sounds of it, they were working on plans for their 19th birthday party, but thankfully, they could spare a few minutes to deal with a surprise visit from their cousin. All of us made our way to the stables for safety's sake and locked up Gruffnut, though Hiccup and I remained at a distance, leaning up against the dragon pens.