viii, a perfectly good heart.

chapter eight. a perfectly good heart.

hayden said yes to ranboo, and angelina honestly couldn't be more miserable.

there was more of a sludge in her posture, a groaning tone to her voice, and less of a happy tune when she'd play the saxophone during band. mrs anderson told her off a few times for being off beat.

ranboo, on the other hand, was the opposite. the boy had a pep in his step as he walked, a grin on his face almost constantly, and just seemed happier in general. he was far too giddy to realize how angelina looked, and even if he did, he would've thought she was just tired.

angelina finally got her drivers license on the day of december sixteenth, 2021. and honestly, she was grateful for it. hayden started riding along with them on the way to school, and the raven haired girl was stuck to the back.

breaking the streak of over two years of riding together in the front seats, ranboo shoved her to the back, like nothing. like she was nothing.

now, angelina was sure ranboo didn't mean it in a harsh way. he'd finally got the girl he wanted, regard her despite in her mind. she was sure he didn't realize the day angelina had started driving herself to school, though.

it was nice, though. angelina got closer to her brother than ever, and she was even there for the moment where his crush said yes to him. love seemed to be happening everywhere besides her life.

actually that's not true. angelina had been asked to the dance multiple times by a couple juniors, some other seniors she'd known for a while, too. but not wanting to lead them on, angelina politely rejected their offer.

it took some weight off her parent's back, as well. she and aiden's mom had been driving her little brother to school everyday, but now that angelina got over her fear of driving and bucked up to get a license, it gave her mom more time to get ready in the morning.

melody, ranboo's sister, rode to school with them most days too. she'd express her dislike for her brother's newfound girlfriend, too. hayden already had dinner with his family - although she made a quite alright first impression, melody had gotten off vibes from the start. angelina agreed.

she'd run into ranboo's mom and dad a few times at the grocery store and such. they mainly asked questions on why angelina stopped coming over, and with the same old excuse of "i've just been busy", angelina would nod and smile - allowing the adults to carry the conversation.

not like his parents weren't nice people, it was just the fact that the raven haired girl was never in the mood to genuinely speak to people in the kind tone she always did.

work was fine, angelina supposed. she worked more afternoon shifts after school now, whole elodie covered early mornings. this gave the two friends time to see each other during band and occasional lunch. angelina didn't know if she counted as pathetic for eating lunch with her fourteen year old brother and his girlfriend or not.

"angie, you with me or not?" an irish voice brought the girl back to reality. the band concert was only a few days away, right before winter break. angelina couldn't help but wonder if ranboo would make it or not.

"yeah - sorry, ellie," angelina yawned and itched her eye. "where are we in the song?"

"right back at the beginning, now! we're getting the whole song down so we have it by heart, remember?" elodie said in an obvious tone. "come on, mrs anderson is gonna make us do it all together."

angelina nodded grimly and walked over to where the others who played the saxophone. her eyes followed elodie, whereas they were off to sit in the flute section.