Chapter forty-two

SOFIA'S POV

Mara keeps staring at me. That's the first thing I notice when I sit down at the dinner table. She's sitting right next to my husband, not that he's paying her any attention. His eyes have been on me all night, save for when we first met Mara.

James turns to me. "How is your salmon?"

I take a piece of the salmon, scooping some rice up to feed him. "Try some yourself," I say.

He opens wide, and I encourage him to close his tongue around the fork. James swallows, and I watch the way his Adam's apple bobs up and down. "It's pretty good," he tells me.

"How's your steak?" I ask him.

"Want to try?" He asks me, cutting into it. I shake my head, so he takes the bite.

"It's a little tough, so it's okay."

"Do you want the rest of my salmon?" I ask him, grinning when he looks longingly at my plate.

"You can have it," he tells me.

"It's okay James, I'm full anyway. You can finish for me," I tell him.

Mr. Henderson is seated at our table with his wife Jessica. He cuts into our conversation. "I remember the honeymoon phase like that. Take the plate while you can get it James because she'll be keeping it in twenty years."

I laugh, and Mr. Henderson grins at me. We continue eating, and James continues to pay his personal assistant no mind. That alone gives me so much satisfaction. When I first heard he was sleeping with her, I was jealous. What did he see in all of these women that he didn't see in me? How long had they been sleeping together? Did he start sleeping with her this past week because he stopped going out to bars and clubbing? What if he got caught with her in the office? He could get kicked out of his position as CEO of YumYum Tea Company, couldn't he?

When dinner finishes, the begin announcing the winners of the the bids outside. Much to James' chagrin, he wins the hot air balloon ride. We end up raising over 100,000 dollars for Feeding America. At the end of the night, they invite us all to dance on the ballroom floor.

I look over at James, wondering if he'll be interested. To my surprise, he's looking back at me. "C'mon," he says, holding his hand out.

I smile at him, allowing him to guide me to the floor. His hands wrap around the small of my back and hold me close as we sway back and forth. I allow my head to fall against his chest as we slow dance. Under my cheek, I can hear the frenzy of his beating heart, and I'm surprised to hear how nervous he is to be dancing with me.

My heart is racing equally as fast, and all of my nerves feel like they're on fire when he twirls a loose piece of hair at the front of my face and tucks it behind my ear.

~~~
JAMES' POV

I can't help the way my body reacts to dancing with Sofia. Something about the way her front presses against my chest makes my heart pulse wildly in my chest. She smiles at me, seizing my heart. How did I end up marrying such a beautiful woman?

I can't stop staring at her. This whole night, I've used the fact that she's my wife to stare at her. Henderson noticed. He pulled me aside earlier to tell me that I was a lucky one. He tells me that she's a stunner, and one of the most interesting people he's ever met.

When we head out, my skin tingles from the way she's been wrapped around me all night. I help Sofia into the limo, climbing in after her and closing the door.

"How's you like tonight?" I ask her.

"It was a perfect end to the week," she tells me. "I was really looking forward to today all week. That, and my Hawaii trip next week."

"You're still going?" I ask her, taken aback. I thought I'd told her not to go.

She gives me a hard look, and I know I'm not going to be changing her mind. "Of course I'm still going."

Fire erupts in my stomach. I want to remind her that she's mine before she's that fuckers. He doesn't have her the way that I do.

"Sofia?" I ask her.

"Yes?"

"Can I kiss you?"

She looks at me with wide eyes. "Um, yes," she says quietly.

I look into her beautiful brown eyes and pull her close, placing my lips on hers. I pull her plump lip into my mouth, sucking gently before Frenching her. She follows my lead, allowing herself to be carried away until I run out of breath like usual. Instead of pulling away though, I kiss up Sofia's cheek and down to her ear. She gasps when I tongue the hollow under her ear, and I continue Frenching all the sensitive spots of her neck. She writhes and twists underneath me, and when she lets out a quiet moan, all of the blood in my body shoots straight to my dick. I've never heard her make that sound before. I want to hear it again and again.

She's whimpers quietly, and I pull away from her neck, admiring the way her chest is rising and falling fast. "Oh my god," she whispers. Her whole face turns a lovely shade of pink as she meets my eyes, and then she looks away quickly.

"Don't hide from me Sofia," I tell her. I turn her head back toward me, feeling the way her cheeks burn as we make eye contact. She opens her mouth to say something, and I nearly curse as we're interrupted by the limo door opening for us. I climb out of the car and then hold my hand out to help her get out. She takes my hand easily, and after she's out of the car, I interlace my fingers with hers. We hold hands all the way inside our apartment, and I take pleasure in the simplicity of her closeness.