Part 9

Sean’s POV

        He was going to crack one of these days. Sang will overwhelm him with just being her, and he will crack. That stupid stony façade will disappear, and he will be simply Owen. It might not happen in front of all of us, but she’ll get through. That dance just proved it.

         As the final notes faded (was Gabe a genius or what?), Owen stepped back and kissed Sang’s hand. So classic Owen- formal, yet not quite what it appeared. There was no way he would dare risk actually kissing her and freaking her out. Me, on the other hand? Not an issue.

         Luke walked over and started explaining a turn/twist thing to Owen and Sang, so I grabbed the laptop and typed in a title on the youtube search box. I clicked on it, then hit pause. I handed the laptop back to Gabe. He looked at the title and smiled. “Yeah, she is, isn’t she?” I nodded and stood.

         I walked over to where the three were talking waltz. “Ok, boys and girl, time for some real country dancing. You ready to 2 Step, Pookie?”

         She grinned at me, her green eyes sparkling. “I don’t know. Is it easier than that spin thing Luke was just trying to teach me?”

         “Definitely easier than that, at least at first.” I looked at Owen and Luke. “Out of our way. We have boots to scoot.”

         Owen looked down at my feet. “Neither of you are wearing boots. Or shoes, for that matter.”

         I gestured, shooing them over to the couch. “Not the point. Move.” They went to sit down, Luke in the middle between Gabe and Owen. Luke began whispering to Gabe, and he began typing.

         I took Sang’s hand and led her to the middle where we’d have more room. “First, let’s talk about what’s the same about the country waltz and the 2-Step. You will face backward and have to trust your partner to not run you into someone.” Oh, the look on her face! She hadn’t considered the possibility. “You need to keep your step count no matter what, because if you get fancy with it, you might end up side by side on opposite feet.” She nodded. “Hand positions are almost the same in the basic step, but there are several options for side to side. I’ll show you the two that most people do- later.” Another nod. “We won’t get all twisty spinny like Luke did until you far more comfortable with the basics.” She looked relieved.

         “Now, for what’s different between the dances. Unlike the waltz’s 3/4 time, the 2-step is danced to 2/4 or 4/4 songs. In other words, most of the songs they’ll play at the club.” I leaned in close so it was like I was whispering, but I looked up at Owen to see if he was listening. He was. “I think Owen just wanted to dance with you, and he can’t 2 Step to save his life.”

         She looked into my eyes, and I could see her fighting it. Her lips turned up, and her smile spread. I winked. That did it. She started giggling.

         “Now, Sang, don’t make me stop your giggling in front of those guys.” I wiggled my eyebrows. Her eyes got huge. Drat. That stopped the giggling, too.