Untitled Part 14

Sang’s POV

         Of course. He had to hear that, didn’t he? I blushed and walked down an aisle, looking for my size or Victor or anything else to get away from Luke. I heard him chuckling behind me.

         I finally found Victor. He held a pink boot, confusion all over his face .

         “Find anything interesting?” I asked, walking up alongside him.

         “How do you feel about ostrich, Princess?” He responded, holding out the boot to me.

         “Oy! No ostrich! I don’t want her feet to look like she has measles or something.” Gabe came walking down the aisle. “I put some clothes in a dressing room for you, Trouble. You can try them on when we’re done. Find anything you like?”

         I shook my head. “We just started, and I don’t know what I’m supposed to be looking for.”

         Gabe nodded. “No exotics this time. Let’s stick with more traditional leathers.”

         I nodded at him, and he smiled as he recognized the “I have no idea what you’re talking about, but we’ll just go with it” look on my face. “Trouble, look for smooth leather. It can be stitched or inlayed, but the leather needs to be smooth. No lizard, no bumpy ostrich, no snake.”

         “Snake?” I was not putting snake skin on my feet!

         “No snake. Just plain old leather.”

         I nodded, looking at the variety on the shelves. “What color?”

         “Whatever color you want, Princess.” Victor answered.

         Gabe glared at him. “No, Trouble, NOT whatever color you want. For your first pair, we’ll go with brown or black… maybe some inlay. If you really like the pair you get today, then we can get fancy. Maybe get you a custom pair. Now, find yourself a few pair that you might like and try them on.”

         “Which style? There are so many.”

         He picked up a generic looking cowboy boot. “One like this.”

         “Sang,” Luke called out, rounding the corner. “I found a few for you to try. I think you’ll like some of these.”

         “Let’s go see what he found.” Gabe started walking toward Luke.

         I turned to Victor. “Coming?”

         He shook his head. “I’m going to see what clothes Gabe picked out for you. Look around a bit. I’ll find you.”

         I nodded, and he walked away. I joined the other two on the next aisle. Gabe was putting boots back on the shelf and pulling others down.

         “Don’t put that one back. She’ll like that one.” Luke made a grab for the boot in Gabe’s hand.

         “My job. Not yours. Shit. I have a certain look in my head, and you’re messing with it.” He put that boot on the shelf and then grabbed another, looking it over. “These, I like. Trouble, get your pretty little ass over here and try these on.” He handed me a pair of dark gray boots with black wings stitched into the shaft.

         I sat down and pulled on the boots. I stood up and struck a pose for Gabe. He looked me up and down, and nodded. “Set those over there. We’ll make a maybe pile.”

         I looked at Luke. ‘Maybe pile?’ I mouthed. He shrugged. New to him, too.

        “Now these.” He gave me a brown pair with tan cut-away sections. I sat down, took off the wing boots and put on the brown ones. These weren’t as comfortable, so I let him know.

         “Are they a little tight, or really tight?”

         I shook my head. “Neither. The arch doesn’t feel right.”

         “Well, shit. Those were cute. Take ‘em off. We’ll keep going.”

         45 minutes later, I was sure I had tried on every pair of boots in my size in the store. If I was exaggerating, it wasn’t by much. I had four pair of boots on the “maybe” shelf. Luke carried them over to the dressing room, and Gabe took one more look down the aisle. “I just want to make sure I didn’t miss a pair.”

         “You didn’t, Meanie. I’m sure you didn’t.” I had no idea that trying on boots could be so tiring.

         “Ok. Ok. Let’s go.” He grabbed my hand and dragged me over to the dressing room. Luke and Victor were sitting in chairs just outside the curtained booth. An empty chair sat next to Luke. Gabe moved to the empty seat.

         “I added a few things to the pile in the dressing room,” Victor commented as I walked toward the curtain.

         Gabe had just sat down, but he jumped up and went over to the dressing room. “What the fuck? Doing my job again? Did you even get the right size this time?” He began grabbing hangers and looking over the additions. “hmm… cute… not right for dancing… maybe… hell no… Oy! This! Try this one.” He handed me a white sundress with pink flowers. Digging through the pile, he found a blue jean jacket. “With this… and the wing boots. Got it?”

         I nodded, shoving him out of the dressing room and pulling the curtain closed. I couldn’t believe that I was getting undressed with them on the other side of the curtain. I quickly got out my blouse and skirt that I wore to school and slipped on the dress. It really was cute. I pulled the jacket on, and then the boots.

         I opened the curtain and stepped out. Three pairs of eyes locked onto me.

         “Well, shit, Vic. You’re not half-bad at this. It won’t work for the club, but it definitely works.”