Part 22

Gabriel’s POV

         “Come on, Trouble! Open the damn door. I have work to do.”

         “I’m hurrying. Give me a minute!”

         I smiled. There was a time when she wouldn’t have talked back to any of us. She’s finally getting used to us being in her face all the time. Good. Very good.

         Finally Friday. School’s done for the week. No one threatened to blow up the school. Nothing more than minor pissing contests in the halls. No new weird drugs. No one attacked Trouble. Wonders never cease and all that shit. Every single week was stressful, just worrying about what might happen.

         I pounded on the door. “I’m about to fuckin’ open the… oh, thanks, Trouble. You ready for me?” I smiled as I pushed past her into the bathroom.  I looked over her outfit – she had her skinny jeans and a pink tank top on already. Good start. I picked her up by the waist and dropped her onto the counter, and then reached over to shut and lock the door. I looked back over at her, and her eyebrow almost hit her hairline in question. I stepped between her knees and wrapped my arms around her.

         “Don’t give me any shit, Trouble.” I said into her hair. “There is less than no fucking privacy around here, and I just need a few minutes with you.” I pulled away, looking in her eyes. “That ok with you?” She smiled and nodded, her arms pulling me back to her and hugging me tight. We stood there for who knows how long. I didn’t really care. I just wanted to hold my Trouble for a little while without my brothers in my face. I love them and everything, but even I needed some quiet every once in a while.

         Once I’d had a moment or ten, I looked down at her. I should have had more control around her. I mean, I tried. I really tried. But her eyes… that wide-eyed innocence mixed with those exquisite looks… I leaned over and kissed her cheek. I felt her smile against my lips. I trailed kisses over to her ear, then down to her jaw. I felt as much as heard her gasp. Smiling myself, I moved down to the spot of skin under her ear. I gently nibbled at that spot, sucking in just a bit.

         “Meanie…” she said, a little breathless.

         I stopped just long enough to respond. “What?”

         “If you leave a mark, I’ll… “ she stopped, sucking in a breath. Hmm… Memo to self: remember that spot.

         “You’ll what, Trouble?” I asked.

         “I’ll… I’ll… I’ll let Silas dress me for a month.”

         I pulled back and glared at her. The look in her eye… “You wouldn’t!”

         She raised an eyebrow, daring me to test her. “But, Trouble… I thought… “ I put my forehead against hers.

         “Meanie,” she reached up and touched my chin, raising it so I’d look at her. “You thought I like it? Well, I do. Well, I like how it feels. I’m not so sure about the marks, though.”

         I thought about it for a moment. “So… as long as I don’t leave a mark…” I probably grinned a little too big at the idea.

         She rolled her eyes. “If we didn’t have somewhere to be, and if I didn’t think we might have who knows how many guys pounding on the door any minute, then… maybe.” She whispered the last, blushing, but she was grinning.

         That little flirt! When did she learn that?

         I took a deep breath and huffed it out. “Fine. Let’s make your gorgeous self irresistible.” Wait… what was I doing? “Whose brilliant idea was to make you even more smokin’ hot?”

         She thought for a moment, a grin on her face. “Well, since it was Victor, Luke and you at the store, I’m blaming you.”

         I shook my head. “OK. Fine. Let’s get this done. But I’d really like to avoid a fight tonight, so not too hot.”

         It didn’t take me long to work my magic. Hell, I didn’t actually have to do anything. Sang was perfect just the way she was. All I did was play up a few of her finer features. A touch of deep purple eyeliner to bring out even more green in her eyes. A hint of mascara. Some lightly tinted Dr. Pepper flavored lip gloss- my own personal hell, but I bought it hoping that someday I’d get to kiss it off of those lips. I moved her over to sit on the commode. I blew her hair dry, scrunching it up to give it some wave and body. Then I pulled back some of the front on each side, loosely braiding it. I slid her boots on, then grabbed her shirt and gently pulled it over her head.

         I reached in my pocket and pulled out a velvet pouch. “Time for the finishing touches.” I pulled the necklace out and held it up for Sang to see.

         Her eyes lit up. “When did you get that?”

         I shrugged. “I didn’t.”

         She sighed.  “Victor.”

         I grinned and shook my head. “Nope. Luke.  He saw them at Boot Jack and went back.”

         The look on her face was priceless. I loved being able to surprise her. I fastened the necklace around her neck, taking the opportunity to kiss her cheek since I was so close. I reached back into the pouch and pulled out a matching bracelet. I took her left hand and fumbled with the clasp for a moment before I secured it to her wrist. One more dip into the pouch revealed a crystal and silver ring.

         She looked at me with a question in her eyes. I smiled. “To paraphrase Victor: it’s a costume jewelry ring, not a marriage proposal.”  I held up her right hand and slid it on her ring finger. Hmm… perfect fit. How’d he do that? I looked at it carefully. “But, now that I look at it, it would be a unique setting to work with for an engagement ring.” I looked up into her eyes and winked.

         “Meanie!” She blushed.

         “What? It would be a unique setting. I’ll just file that information away for later. Much later.” She blushed even more.

         I reached out and took hold of both of her hands and pulled until she was standing. We moved over to the mirror, and I turned her so that she could see herself, keeping my hands on her shoulders because I couldn’t not touch her.

         She smiled at my reflection. “Thank you, Meanie.”

         I kissed the crown of her head. “I didn’t do anything, Trouble. You make my job entirely too easy.” I turned her towards the door and then reached around to open it. “OK… let’s go. Time to see if North’s going to kill me.” I reached to grab the lip gloss… just in case she needed a touch up.

         She turned and looked at me, totally confused. “Why would he kill you?”

         I sighed as I ushered her out the door and into the hall. “The last time we went to a club, he didn’t see you before we left. I think he’s still here, so he’ll get to see you. You’re looking particularly hot this evening and I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but  he can be a bit… protective. Remember him ordering Nathan to go along for protection?” She nodded. “Let’s just hope he’s forgotten that Nate’s not coming along tonight.”