Chapter 3

TW: Blood, dissociation, panic attacks

Ranboo was panting as he laid down on the cold surface, which he could only assume was the tiled fleoor of the orphanag. Screaming could be heard around him, and a warm liquid was welling up on his face. It felt like he was on fire. He tried sitting up. He looked around. Was this the cafeteria?

"Shit, he's getting up again! Quick someone get him!" He looked to his left and saw a horrible sight. A boy a bit younger than him with huge scratch marks all over himself. He was tightly gripping a blood-soaked knife.

"Get, the fuck, away from me." The boy growled. Before he could speak someone grabbed him by the shoulders, forcing him up. Two others came over and grabbed his arms. He couldn't remember where he was.

Where is he?

Why can't he remember?

W̸̭͈͓̗̤̾͒̃̽̆͛̓̅̇̎̐̏̈ͅḩ̶̳̜͊ý̵̢̖̱͓̱̼̫̞̰̬̯̊̆ͅ ̵̛̖̅̋͒̀̉̓́͗̏͐̕͘͘͝c̸̜̗̱͂́͆͗̓̚͜͝ȁ̴̟̟̗͍̓̃̎̄̏̽͠n̴̢̰̱̻̳̭͎̠͍̣͇̜̜̮͂̎̽̃͒͆̔̕͜͝'̸̡̲͓̬̣̠̖̓̑́̔̃̊́͠t̵͙̞̰̘̤̖̮̘͕̏͐́̎́̑̈́̄̍͑͊͗̓̄ͅ ̵̡̙̩̲̟̻̜̳͚͕͎̰̙̞̭̓́̐͐̈́y̵̹͈̬̗͕̣̮͕̳̅͌̄̋̑̕͠ơ̸̡̨̖͈͕̦̞̮͔̑͋̃͊̃̀̂̈́͑̃̈́̒ụ̵̟̾̌̀̋͛͑̈́̿͛͗̅͜͠ ̴̰̟̲̂͑̑͛́͂̇̍̐̕ŕ̵͔̘̩͈͚̇̀̕ë̵̳͔́̈́̂̏ͅḿ̵̢̧̡̻͖̯͇̞̝̪͙̱͇̻͌͛̈̉͌̽e̷̢̢̝̬͙̝͙̲̭̯̟͉͇̲̅͜m̴̢̥͇̮̹̠̟̠̠̃̏̓̀́̈́̊̒b̵̝̻͉̞͎͇̗̱̾̈̔̅̉̽͋̽̋͒̕͠e̴̲̙͔̭̪͊̈́̿͒̾͆͌̎̑͊̀̈́̽r̵̡̛̛͖̝̘̝̤̳̠̦͕̺͈̓̄͂̄̓̊͂̄̈͋͝ ̷̝͔̻̥͔̯͒R̶̯̦͕͔̗̳͑́̏̀͒ͅä̵̪͇͉̭̬̦̺͂̉͌̀̀̊̃̚ñ̶̡̲̯͖̜͓͙̉̌̏͌̓̆̔̿͋̉͒b̷͖͍͔̘͆̔̇̌͂͗̈̍̚ǫ̴̧͙͖̠͓̰͇̜̦̼͍̮̻̽̎͑͝o̵̘͆̅̀̋̑̄̋̈́͆̽͝.

Ranboo shot up from his bed. He quickly remembered where he was, Phil's house. His new home. He touched his face, expecting there to be blood. Instead there was a scar, reaching from his white split ear to the corner of his lip. Sliding out of bed he staggered to the bathroom, locked the door behind him and turned on the blinding fluorescent light. He stared at himself in the mirror and traced his finger along his scar.

"You deserve this, you deserved this." His breath hitched and he slid to the ground, not even caring that he hit the ground with a thud. He then started to weep. After a few moments he heard a knock on the door.

"Ranboo, are you in there?" Ranboo tried to speak, but only an enderman mumble came out. "I'm coming in." The door opened and a disheveled looking Phil was standing in the door way. He was wearing an old tee shirt paired with basketball shorts. His face turned to one of sadness. He slumped down next to Ranboo, leaning against the bathroom cabinet.

"Ranboo, I need you to tell me what happened. I need you to talk to me bud." The hybrid tried to speak but only enderman shrieks could be spoken. Phil tried his best to hide his flinching. He examined the boy, noticing how much he was trembling. Obviously shaking or nodding his head wouldn't be useful for communication. "Here, I'll ask you some yes or no questions." He balled his hand up into a fist and moved it up and down. "Do this for yes," He then pressed his four fingers against his thumb over and over again, "And this for no, got it?"

Ranboo signed yes.

"Okay good. Now, are you hurt?"

Ranboo signed no.

"Are you sick?"

Ranboo signed no.

"Hmmm...did you have a nightmare?" Ranboo hesistated. He supposed it was sort of like a nightmare, but it was mostly just a reciliation of a long lost memory.

Ranboo signed yes.

"Do you want me to sit here with you for a bit?"

Ranboo signed yes. Phil nodded and the two sat in comfortable silence, only interrupted by an occasional soft enderman noise. Once Ranboo was able to pull himself together again he spoke. "Hey...Phil?"

"Hmm?"

"My nightmare...it was about the orphanage." Phil turned to him, looking both concerned and intrigued. "I was laying on the ground in the cafeteria. I felt really weak...a-and my face was covered in blood." The man's face slowly shifted into a horrified one, laced with genuine concern. "A-and the boy who did it was also wounded. Everyone was scared, they treated me like a monster I don't know what I did!" Ranboo winced once he realized how much he raised his voice. "Why can't I remember what happened!?"

Phil placed a comforting hand on his shoulder, Ranboo flinched but calmed down quickly. "It's okay Ranboo, it was just a nightmare."

"But it wasn't though...it was a memory...a bad one." What happened next shocked Ranboo. Phil pulled him into a tight hug. Ranboo tensed up in fear but was quickly relaxed by the sensation.

"Don't worry Ranboo, they can't hurt you any more. Not here at least." Ranboo was racked with sobs, not able to hold them in any longer.

A knot formed in Ranboo's throat. He wished he could tell Phil the whole story. But the memory was blurred, and the pieces he could form he knew Phil wouldn't like.